Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help ! My 1989 gl sw 4x4 won't start. I have fuel and spark so do I need a new ECU? Are they the same for ea82 standard or auto?

How do you know it's got fuel? You've said how you've checked the spark.

3spd auto is hydraulic, 4 spd auto has a separate ECU in the rear left quarter panel. Engine ECU doesn't matter (depending on SPFI, MPFI, MPFI turbo of course)

Should be a test mode with the check connectors that makes the fuel pump run regardless. My turbo wagon had this problem. ran kind of ok with check connectors joined. Ran ok on NA ECU, took me 3 times with turbo ECU to get it running.

Also, there is some problem with some models with the fuel pump wiring. The earth side runs back through the ECU and can burn out. easiest fix is to connect the earth side of the fuel pump directly to the car body to earth it.

My first suggestion is check the fuel pump has 12v, then connect it directly to a battery bypassing the ignition to see if it's working (take the fuel feed line off at the engine to see if it's pumping).

Similar issue. 

Just changed the fuel filter, cap, rotor and plugs. Car was running and starting just fine but now, after changing all of these tune up parts, no crank. It will turn-over but won't crank.

I have fuel past the new fuel filter, checked that. Triple checked firing order and wire orientation on cap. Placed the old cap and rotor back on to test that theory out. Nothing. Battery is plenty strong.

I bought an Accel coil and hooked it up incase I fried the coil. Nothing.

Could it be the distributor????

Similar issue. 

Just changed the fuel filter, cap, rotor and plugs. Car was running and starting just fine but now, after changing all of these tune up parts, no crank. It will turn-over but won't crank.

I have fuel past the new fuel filter, checked that. Triple checked firing order and wire orientation on cap. Placed the old cap and rotor back on to test that theory out. Nothing. Battery is plenty strong.

I bought an Accel coil and hooked it up incase I fried the coil. Nothing.

Could it be the distributor????

A bad black wire in the fusible link box will cause it to not crank over.  A broken distributor side, cam belt will prevent the car from starting but the engine will crank over.  A leak through the intake manifold gasket will prevent the cylinder with the leaky gasket from firing even if it has both gas and spark.  A disconnected coil to distributor wire will keep it from starting but allow it to crank over.  The wire coming off the + battery terminal that goes to the fusible link box, gets hard at the battery terminal end and may break on high mileage vehicles.

A bad black wire in the fusible link box will cause it to not crank over. A broken distributor side, cam belt will prevent the car from starting but the engine will crank over. A leak through the intake manifold gasket will prevent the cylinder with the leaky gasket from firing even if it has both gas and spark. A disconnected coil to distributor wire will keep it from starting but allow it to crank over. The wire coming off the + battery terminal that goes to the fusible link box, gets hard at the battery terminal end and may break on high mileage vehicles.

I'll check the fusible link. Fingers crossed