Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Original problem: Dash hi beam indicator on, no headlights.  Jiggled key switchand problem resolved.  Replaced with new (original code) key and problem seemed to resolved.  Recently recurring problem (blue dash hi beam indicator on but no head-lights), however, the problem re-solves after 7 minutes of heat at highest setting (temperature and fan).  The latter is consistent without any jiggling of turn signal switch or key.  Note: the blue light extinguishes and the lights work normal.  The outside  temperature has increased (34 F) and there is a bit of humidity and possible moisture in car (from melting snow).  In a best guess for troubleshooting: would the application of heat indicate a problem in the key switch or in the turn signal switch.

Any good guessers out there.  Thanks.

akbluesubaru,

It could be either one. Your key switch contacts could be worn to the point that they require heat to expand and make contact. The same could be said for the combination switch (turn signal stalk). The only way to know for sure, would be to remove the plastic top and bottom covers of the steering column, locate the wiring connector for the headlight feed and test the voltage.

Before any of that, I'd be pulling the headlight fuses and relays and reinserting them, to ensure they are making a good contact, and not feeding back to the system. You might even try swapping the headlight relays (may be more than one) with others in the fuse box panel with the same number stamped on them. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply.  Things are OK now that it's 20 degrees F!!!  I had pulled fuses earlier & swapped relays. I don't think the problem is there.  The car has 120,000 miles, so, then, most likely,  (wear & tear), and (temperature & humidity) - I'm cracking the windows a bit at night and I should put a heater inside the car to dry it out (hard to do in snow conditions).  Since, it's an intermittent problem and I don't do much night driving (more daylight now).  I will nurse and address better in spring/summer.  I was considering, if things failed entirely, I'd have to take it to the shop, and a switch and a key replacement - more expense.  I think the key must be  'mechincal' and pushes a pin to make a contact, but like you said, hard to say, which is the culprit, unless all taken apart.  Cheers.