Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale rear wheels

So driving down the highway, and I start hearing weird noises from the back of my 4WD wagon.  Steering felt a little odd sometimes too.  Jacked up the left rear wheel just now.  The entire brake drum wiggles!  Unscrew the nut by hand after pulling the cotter pin!  Drum looks ok, spline looks ok.  Seal is hard as a rock.  Bearings sound dry and a little crunchy.  More disassembly for me....

I got it from CA in 2014, didn't notice anything unusual when I put new tires on it last spring or fall.

Stopped at NAPA this am. They can get all the parts, even the drums. But won't have them till early next week.

I've got spares from other cars, so I'll take a look and see what condition they are in. They wanted 90 ish for a wheel bearing! The other parts weren't too pricy. I already have the special socket for unscrewing the bearing assy, bought it years ago, and never ended up needing it until now.

Pressing out axle stub from a spare one, first I ever disassembled.

post-10866-0-16261100-1486264572_thumb.jpg

Pressing out stub on car -
post-10866-0-66101000-1486264576_thumb.jpg

Oooh, nice crumbs ...

post-10866-0-90291500-1486264574_thumb.jpg

Pressing Outer race on car:

post-10866-0-72415000-1486264577_thumb.jpg

I had to unbolt the 2 arm pivots, and the entire shock at various times, to get the DOJ shaft out, etc.

The rubber bushings at the 2 pivot points are odd - not centered, the arm has been rubbing metal on metal on the in board ends of the mounting / suspension cross  member attachment points.  Some of my spares the rubber is centered, some are offset, would do the same.

Are these rubber bushings available anywhere?  - as better than OEM?