Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 loyale build ideas

Well. Long story short. I came across a 92 loyale wagon with only 84k miles on it. The previous owner tried to "hotwire" the car due to lost keys. They busted out the cylinder and housing for it. So it needs a whole new steering column. I located one in a parts car, however the parts car has no keys..

Is there a location for the key code so i can have a lock smith make a key? I also plan to take the doors and trunk key cylinders out and put them in mine.

Has anyone ever done a older GL headlight (the quad bulbs) into a loyale? Or do i have to stick with the whole glass housing?

And does anyone have just 1 of the aluminum style rim from the older GLs? The junkyard has 3 out of 4 of them and i only need one. Or should i do the 6 lug conversion?

I can post pics later. Thanks all!

I contacted subaru as my ignition switch is jacked, need a whole column with keys, they cant get a key made apparently. My opinion is 6 lug, tires can be had for dirt cheap. as far as a turbo engine swap, your in for a hurting. Dave is right, for the cost an ej swap can done for probably cheaper, and more reliable and still room for some aftermarket power adders. 40% increase in power and torque is great. The 2.2 is a great engine, id go 2.5 for the extra torque for 4x4 days. dont like fuel injection? go carb and have sjr lift hook you up with the stuff to make an ej carbed. remember parts are getting scarce in the ea81/ea82 world.they dont even make oil pumps anymore.

I was asking about the turbo swap because a local junkyard has a turbo legacy ( all there) a turbo gl complete and a turbo xt that is all there for good pickings.

Bug no one has done the quad headlight setup swap?

And yes, i figured it would be a whole new steering column because the cylinder housing is riveted and i dont think its serviceable, a lock smith told me to bring in the door key cylinders and he could probably make a key for it.

Passenger door lock has key code on it, from what I've read on here.

Turbo XT won't have 5-lug. It will have 4-lug rear disc brakes however. Easy swap.

Should also have 3.7 LSD in the rear diff. Swap your 3.9 ring gear onto that center section and put it back in your diff case.

I am heading out to junkyard this weekend in hopes of getting what i need. If i do it correctly, i wont need the whole column, you can drill the screws out and use an extractor and pull it right out. But i might also play it safe and just take the whole thing. But i will definitely be looking at the turbo xt and see how badly buried it is.

if it is a tilt column, get the whole column. ignition switches are not replaceable on tilt columns. i screwed four up at the yard trying to do the same thing you are attempting to do. get the whole column if it has a key. if not pm me, my yatd has 4 subarus right now and i think two with tilt columns and keys

Well, the one subaru out there that is all still in tact, has the cruise control lever on the left, and mine is on the steering wheel, and the junkyard subaru has a really nasty, torn up wheel. So id hate to reuse it. But since mine was already messed up, i drilled the top bolts, that looked like rivets, using a left handed but, half way through, they came out. I was hoping for such luck in the junkyard. If not i will see what you have. But i am pulling all locks and taking them to a lock smith and having keys made, hopefully anyways lol

• Like 1

Got a whole steering column for 50 bucks. Plastics and all. Got all of the door locks too and hopefully i can get a lock smith to make me a key. The passenger side lock has some numbers on it. Also nabbed the DL headlights and a tail light. But the DL has some aluminum rims on it. Anyone have just 1 of these laying around?

post-65928-0-29814500-1486864429_thumb.jpg

It is actually on the passenger side door lock and the lock smith made me 2 keys for 20 bucks. I put the new column in last night and tried starting the car, but all the spare batteries i had sitting around were all dead. Im going to charge one at work today and give it another shot tonight after work