Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU Interchange

The reason I'm asking this question is becouse of the lack of older gen. ECU over here, most of the ea82 that were sold here had carbs and the only ones who had an ECU were the xt turbo.

So the problem is that if I want to drop an ea82t insted of a carbed ea82, what are my options regarding the ECU? Its just that I'm having some trouble finding one.

Can a n/a ea82 ECU do o.k for a ea82t?

The reason I'm asking this question is becouse of the lack of older gen. ECU over here, most of the ea82 that were sold here had carbs and the only ones who had an ECU were the xt turbo.

So the problem is that if I want to drop an ea82t insted of a carbed ea82, what are my options regarding the ECU? Its just that I'm having some trouble finding one.

Can a n/a ea82 ECU do o.k for a ea82t?

Exactly what year/model of ECU do you need?

Its kinda strange.. When my 87 EA82T ECU went out, I had to replcae it with one from another 87.. I had one from an 88, but it had different numbers.. I tried it anyway and it didn't work(it did work in the car it came out of however)... On the other hand, when I was recently working on diagnosing some preoblems with an 88, I tried my ECU from my 87 in it(again, different numbers) and it worked.

I have heard you can use an N/A ECU, but only from an MPFI car.