Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent weber idle issues

So, I did some searching and I have a few leads on what I need to check, but figured id post anyways and see if someone had some input.

Ea82 weberized. It ran perfectly to Florida and back, and had no issues for most of this winter, until: one day after some hard turns and some 4wd bumpy, snowy, road fun time it decided to sputter and die when I put it in neutral. I went inside for 10 mins, came back out, started it up and it idled perfectly...

This problem came and went seemingly randomly for the last week while I tried to notice a pattern. Cold/warm engine didn't matter. Sometimes it would die on the first stop sign by my house and then 30 ft later I would have no idle issues for the rest of the trip.

Last night I noticed that I can make it idle when the issue is present by backing out the fuel mixture screw almost 4 full turns. Once the issue goes away i can return the screw to its normal location and it idles rock solid at 800 until the issue decides to present itself again. It runs perfect with throttle or load on the engine, dies in neutral and won't idle.

This morning I started it with the idle increased and fuel mixture turned out, got to work--about 2 miles--and it was idling high, the issue had gone away. I leaned the fuel mixture to its normal spot, dropped the idle to 800. Rock solid idle for 10 mins. Turned the car off. Immediately turned it back on and it wanted to sputter and die.

I seafoamed it down the carb hoping it would flush something out. I let it trickle through the jets. Nada.

I am reluctant to think it's the float out of wack or a vacuum leak because the problem fixes itself randomly. Fuel filter is fairly new. Like 7k miles, but I'll replace that tonight.

My next step is to investigate and blow out the jets? Also to check the fuel filter on the weber itself. Would a failing fuel pump cause something like this?

It's just puzzling how random it is, and how it goes away by itself. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Nickoli

Sounds like you are on the path... My '86 GL is in about the same condition. Got about 2blks. from home twice last week.

Have you tried the 'fuel volume' test. Outdoors work(for me)... I removed the line at the inlet of the carb, replaced it with a longer one to a metering can that I have, then cranked engine for 15sec. No flow on mine. Fuel filter was no help. Went under car( safety first - Jack stands and chokes at wheels) took the 2 pin connector loose from pump and had wife crank engine for 10sec. to verify 12v at pump. The rotation sensor will not power pump unless engine is turning.  Have a new pump ordered. Let us know what you find. Happy hunting.

Mike

check fuel pressure first. change all filters second. then check idle jet size. 50 primary idle and 55 secondary idle jets should be used. takes 30 seconds to find out what size they are. float check is easy, i use a sewing tool for mine. (.88 cents at walmart) if fuel doesnt persist to be problem, check plugs and ignition timing (mine is set @ 14° and runs smooth) the sputteri sounds like fuel starvation. id look at fuel pressure first as i stated above

Well. The issue has been gone for two days now. Pump has power and pumps fuel. Then I blew out the primary idle jet, which is a 60, which is probably way too big now that I live at 7k ft and regularly travel to 10k+, but that's a different story. After blowing it out it worked perfectly--so, changed the rear fuel filter, and opened the one on the weber for inspection and found quite a few rust colored flakes. Definitely enough to cause some issues if they made their way into the carb. Cleaned the filter for now, ordered two to replace and have a spare. It's been idling rock solid with no hesitation for two days. Seems like it's problem solved.

• Like 2

New fuel pump installed, and wagon is back on the road. Hope the new one lasts at least half as long as the original.

Took a while for the fuel to make its way to the pump. Friend told me fuel does not usually fill the filter and pump, unless the tank is better than 1/2 full.

​Aside from trying a brake bleeder type vacuum pump(which I would try next time), does anyone have a method to flood the new filter?

Thanks