Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Difficulty verifying control arm bushing

Hello! I have a quick tech question for the knowledgeable folks here. I have a 1983 GL 4wd wagon, and I'm 99% sure the passenger side front control arm bushings are shot. I can hear (and see) evidence of the strut spring rubbing on the inside fender well anytime I hang a left. 

I want to go ahead and swap them out...but I can't for the life of me find those bushings for the GL. I've searched and searched and I can find them for an '83 DL, but not for a GL. The O'reilly's website claims the DL bushings are compatible with the GL, but I take what they say with a grain of salt. Napa doesn't even list them.

When I search Rockauto, control arm bushings pop up for an '83 DL, but not for an '83 GL. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and just order some DL bushings because I imagine they're probably the same, BUT I wanted to check and see if anybody here knew for sure. I live on Kodiak Island up in Alaska, and getting anything like this to the island takes alot of time, and returning incorrect parts is spendy and takes an act of Congress.

Many thanks everybody!

Cheers,

Ed

All the EA81's take the same lower control arm busing. You need to make sure it's the bushings and not the strut top hat. I also hope you have a torch and a press or at least a BFH and a lot of time. The old bushings can be quite stubborn to remove.

Good to know, thanks! Yep I have all that good stuff haha!

I drilled the rubber out until I was able to knock the steel inner sleeve out. Then cut through the outside steel from the inside with a sawzall metal  blade and it taps out with little to no effort. Just take your time. Can't remember if I had to cut the blade down to fit inside our found one that did! I had to have my new ones pressed in, they are tight!!

One word of caution: You can tear up a lot of stuff with a press. Don't ask me how I know that, or how I know you can still buy control arms from Subaru with the bushings already in them.......... 

Dan

Haha good reminder! I'll yank the control arms off and soak the bushing ends in some ATF/acetone mix for a week or so before I throw em on the press.

Question for SkiShop ... did Rockauto show bushings for DL and GL?   I have a hard time believing that the control arms are different between GL and DL trim packages.

I hope he says they're the same...I just ordered a pair from rockauto for an '83 DL. I guess I'll see if it'll fit my GL.

Everything I've been able to dig up on DL vs GL, it seems the only difference is trim, headlights, rear heater ducts are just there to hold down the carpet, etc... Nothing about the meat and potatoes being different.

I'm with you...doesn't make sense they'd change up something like control arms over a different trim level. It's weird they only show the bushing for the DL; in my dealings with them, they've always seemed to have all their stuff in one sock with part number crossover and such.

Keep us posted, Mr Ed.     Are there any junk yards on Kodiak?   If so, take a cruise and see if they have any old Subarus.    A lot of parts will mix and match.   Also, utilize the Market Place on this forum.   A lot of guys sell parts here.   Best Subaru user community is here !