Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The "new" CCR engine rebuilders?

It looks as though CCR has changed hands??

Does anyone know to what extent things have changed or restructured as far as management and/or experienced builders goes? 

I currently have a JDM 2.0L SOHC (non-turbo) in my 2k OBW and its absolutely dreadful on power. I use my Subaru like a truck not a grocery-getter and this things not cutting it anymore. I'd like to drop a 2.5 back in when I can afford it. 

Way back when I was on this forum a lot more, I remember CCR having lots of positive reviews and even EMILY chiming in a time or two to add some very knowledgeable advice and comments. 

If I go this route I'd like to know CCR is still as reputable (if not more so) as they were before the restructure. 

Edited by 211
  • Like 1

I don't know about CCR's restructuring, but I build all the engines for my shop personally. I can build one however you like and we are a lot closer than Colorado. Typically we build them using the newer heat treated turbo crankshafts and tri-metal race bearings, etc. There are other options besides a full rebuild also. Subaru themselves offers a reman short block assembly thats reasonable or we could source a used engine and just do piston rings, skirt knurling, etc. Hit us up on Facebook if you would like a quote:

https://m.facebook.com/superiorsoobie/

GD

• Like 3

I don't have FB but I'm interested in service of some sort.

What I have is a 2.0L SOHC and I want a 2.5 back. For core purposes is the 2.0 useless as a return core for a 2.5?

I would not need a core. We would just get you a used engine. I often just buy ones that came from front end collisions and have bent valves, etc. It's not a problem to swap out the valves if you are already doing head gaskets, rings, etc.

Or we could buy a reman short block from Subaru. They are about $2150. I have lots of extra heads no problem there.

If you want a custom build with heat treated crank and race bearings, etc then we could either buy new case halves from Subaru or I can have a used set reconditioned, etc.

You can also email me at:

rick@superiorsoobie.com

Or call the shop:

503-880-4084

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Totally different shop in a new location.

I use to take used 2.5 DOHC cores up the Rick and Emily at the old CCR.  I always enjoyed doing business with them over the years.

Great source of engines and information.

The new owner seems good, it's just not the same CCR.

I assume they are good, time will tell.

• 4 years later...

Scott , I hope you mean EA81 and not EA82

Its your business of course but man it would hurt me if you stuck an OHC engine in there. If you do , go EJ not EA. 

Best of luck with it. Enjoy ! 

No experience with CCR other than Shawn worked there once upon a time and yeah we played “Willy and the Poor Boys” until we wore the grooves down. 

• Like 1