Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Outback H6, 3.0L L.L. Bean Suspension Swap

I just purchased a '02 Outback LL Bean ed. with the 3.0L; I know with a heavy SW like the Outback it tends to sway and dip pretty good with aggressive turns and big dips, but I'm relatively sure it's time for a KYB strut upgrade project...

I've heard rumors that Forester struts of some year models will be a direct bolt-in with the '02 OB and provide a stiffer ride/slight lift; has anybody tried this? What model of Forester struts do I need to fit into my OB? On a related note, if I decided to install the OB struts, is the strut spacer a viable option for achieving a similar lift? Trying to make mine look a little sportier and give some extra clearance/stiffer and more controlled ride.

Thanks! Any recommendations appreciated...

PS Does anyone with the H6 have the whiney power steering pump? I saw the easy fix with the 4 cylinder (the housing adjustment) but the H6 has a different configuration... I've heard maybe the O-ring in the PS fluid line is going bad and sucking air???

yes, I had to swap o-rings on our 03 H6. and o-rings in the a/c .

there's some things to check;

rear bushings on lower control arms

accessory belt idler and tensioner pulley bearings

water in taillights

mine's beginning to need inner tierods.

pass side split inner cv boots (more damage from exhaust heat than the other side)

keep the cooling system in top-notch condition. watch for drips at o'flow tube on nipple at rad neck - I clamped it with small zip-ties

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

yes, I had to swap o-rings on our 03 H6. and o-rings in the a/c .

there's some things to check;

rear bushings on lower control arms

accessory belt idler and tensioner pulley bearings

water in taillights

mine's beginning to need inner tierods.

pass side split inner cv boots (more damage from exhaust heat than the other side)

keep the cooling system in top-notch condition. watch for drips at o'flow tube on nipple at rad neck - I clamped it with small zip-ties

Do you happen to have any detailed information on the size of O-rings needed for the Power steering/AC? I realize it's unlikely, but I don't have the shop manual and would just have to eyeball the O-ring for that hose connection... Hadn't considered the A/C o-rings but will perhaps look into them soon