Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just Got done with the reseal, now help me get it running...

So I just got done resealing the engine in my 1993 loyale. It is an ea82 spfi. I got the engine back into the car. Put all the timing belts back on and fired her up, she runs then dies. It will run for maybe 10 or fifteen seconds at about 750 rpm then sputter out. If I get it started and give her some gas I can keep it at about 2500 rpms for a few seconds before the rpms completely drop and she sputters out. I checked the check engine code and it is giving me 31, throttle position sensor. I wasn't getting this code before I took the engine out. The tps doesn't seem to make a difference though as it does the same thing with it unplugged. It doesn't seem to turn over smooth either, when the starter is engaged it almost seems, jerky and rough, not the feeling it usually gives? 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kyle

I just read a thread on here that says when doing the timing for the distributor you should not position the flywheel at the 0 degrees mark when you put the distributor in but rather align again to the middle timing mark and then put the distributor in with the rotor facing towards the hill holder. Is this proper procedure? I aligned it to the 0 degree mark when I first put the distributor in.

I just read a thread on here that says when doing the timing for the distributor you should not position the flywheel at the 0 degrees mark when you put the distributor in but rather align again to the middle timing mark and then put the distributor in with the rotor facing towards the hill holder. Is this proper procedure? I aligned it to the 0 degree mark when I first put the distributor in.

Yes. You need to redo it. There are separate marks for timing belt.

You have to align to the 3 vertical lines mark. Put 1 belt on. Rotate the crankshaft 1 turn, stopping at the center of the 3 lines again. Put second belt on.

I don't recall the disty positions off the top of my head. But be aware the helical cut of the gears turns it a bit, and sometimes can get you off a bit. The disty wrong won't cause uneven cranking sounds.

Now that you have the belts on, move the crank so you are at TDC cylinder #1 on the compression stroke.  Double check this by pulling the #1 plug and feeling air pressure with finger over plug hole.    You should be very close to the 0 mark on flywheel.

Now install disty so the rotor is pointing towards the firewall and somewhat towards the driver side (This is #1 wire).    When you pop the cap on disty, make sure #1 wire is going to #1 spark plug.   Firing order is 1-3-2-4 Counterclockwise.    1 and 3 are on passenger side.   2 and 4 are on driver side.   #1 is passenger side frontmost.    #2 is the driver side frontmost.