Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey there. I'm new to your site, and my first post comes with lots of questions.

Subaru has recently announced that they're looking for a new ad agency in the US, and I may be lucky enough to be involved in creating some new ads for them.

I've worked on several car ad campaigns in the past, but I don't know enough about Subaru to do a good job yet. I'm looking to answer a few specific questions for some background thinking...so I thought I might be so bold as to ask the experts like yourselves.

There are three areas where I could use your help...

- If you were to drive a bunch of new cars without logos on them, how would you know which were the Subaru? What is it about a Subaru that sets it apart from the others?

- Subaru seems to have worked on changing their image over the past few years - how would describe their new direction? What are they about now, compared to the past?

- Stereotype for me - what type of person is a "Subaru person"?

* Thought starter one: pretend that you're driving up to a stoplight. You pull up next to a Forrester. Who's driving? How about for a WRX? A new Legacy?

* Thought starter two: Compared to people who drive Nissan/Toyota/Ford, Subaru drivers are much more....what?

I hope you can entertain the questions, it could be an interesting way to see what each of you think about these topics, and I intend it to be a fun discussion. If you have questions for me, I can definitely answer them back.

The first one is easy, the one with the oil leak is the Subaru.

The last one Subaru people tend to communciate with each other more, I cannot find a good board like this for our Saturn.

Even with a few oil leaks my 2.2 now has 286000 miles on it.

Hey there. I'm new to your site, and my first post comes with lots of questions.

Subaru has recently announced that they're looking for a new ad agency in the US, and I may be lucky enough to be involved in creating some new ads for them.

I've worked on several car ad campaigns in the past, but I don't know enough about Subaru to do a good job yet. I'm looking to answer a few specific questions for some background thinking...so I thought I might be so bold as to ask the experts like yourselves.

There are three areas where I could use your help...

- If you were to drive a bunch of new cars without logos on them, how would you know which were the Subaru? What is it about a Subaru that sets it apart from the others?

- Subaru seems to have worked on changing their image over the past few years - how would describe their new direction? What are they about now, compared to the past?

* Thought starter one: pretend that you're driving up to a stoplight. You pull up next to a Forrester. Who's driving? How about for a WRX? A new Legacy?

* Thought starter two: Compared to people who drive Nissan/Toyota/Ford, Subaru drivers are much more....what?

I hope you can entertain the questions, it could be an interesting way to see what each of you think about these topics, and I intend it to be a fun discussion. If you have questions for me, I can definitely answer them back.

1. subaru [outback] has a distinctive shape; particularly shape side and rear (I'll be on the highway doing 85mph and notice an outback 10 cars in front)

2. it use to be Paul hogan - crocodile dundee in the australian outback (rugged adventurous) now latest ads are targeting urban professionals with adventurous alter egos (Lance Armstrong)

3. sterotypes (from the point of view of a 35yr black male married in brooklyn, NY):

a. forester - suburban type caucasian male/female 49-55yrs

b. WRX - young caucasian or asian male 20-ish

c. legacy - middle age caucasian male/female, married, kids

d. outback - a mix of all the above (except young asian male) 30 - 50yr old male/female, active lifestyle/adventurous at heart, more environmental aware (i.e then suv owners)

Again this is just from my experience, I've had my 2000 outback less than a year. When I go mountain biking in northen NJ I see 2/3 other subies in the lot, mid-age guys, and on race day see a lot more and young 20-ish guy in blue WRX's. In chinatown in the city I see the asian kids with WRX's. I'm sure those of you further up in the northeast and elsewhere will have different observations.

The first one is easy, the one with the oil leak is the Subaru.

The last one Subaru people tend to communciate with each other more, I cannot find a good board like this for our Saturn.

Even with a few oil leaks my 2.2 now has 286000 miles on it.

I love you first comment!!! :lol:

But you will find loyalty among Subaru owners.

I think Subaru has hit a niche market in the 80's with the ski teams and today with the biking community. I ride mtn bikes and would say that 50 percent of the trail lots are Subaru's here in Colorado.

all the ads are good, but what about a family ad , i mean the wagon is good for a family of 5 etc... i was going to some time make a short ad my self , around the family theme , or even a short film , just my 2 cents , in fact i toured the plant 6 yrs ago good tour ,

Subaru needs to apeal to the performancing minded individuals who want a little more class then what the wrx has to offer. ie the legacy gt. Very nice looking car with some balls to back it.

My personal opinion still is that SOA's ad campaign sucks!

This is along the lines of what I would like to see

http://subaru.com.au/downloads/464644.mpg

Shot into the rearview mirror - the road is empty - it is ice covered and snow-blown

5 second $2.17 p/gallon gas sign

shot into the ditch behind you - it is strewn with Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Nissans...

5 second $2.17 p/gallon gas sign

Shot from the front of the car - it's a Subaru. The driver is smiling and relaxed.

Pan down to the giggling child in the car seat.

Subaru - the security of full-time AWD with the economy to fight off the gas pump

Copywrited _ USMB 6-15-04. If used in part or total, all proceeds donated to USMB.

I see almost 80% middle aged to older people dirving subaru outbacks (sedan and wagon), foresters and sport wagons. I'd guess a pretty even mix male/female. Mostly young males (but quite a few young females) driving impreza RS, wrx and sti models.

I agree with Legacy777. The new ad campign sucks ballzak. What's this silly 'driven by whats inside' junk? Who is that dork on a bike endorsing stuff? Who cares? Subaru started a trend and they need to make ppl aware that they started it and they are still leading teh way. Nobody cared about SUVs or cars with 4WD untill Subaru started pumping out 4WD wagons.

When they got Paul Hogan to say 'the worlds first sport utility wagon' they werent kidding. Thats right to the point and its the truth. That ad campaign did so much for them. Sales really picked up in that era for outback wagons and impreza sport wagons. I think if you could get back to focusing on what Subaru is all about you would really have a good campaign.

Subaru to me is AWD/4WD, Utility, Tons of options/features, and TURBO :D

If you were to drive a bunch of new cars without logos on them, how would you know which were the Subaru? For the legacy wagon and the outback, the side window profile. A subdued aggressive stance. The ability for the cars to look both benign and aggressive, if that makes any sense. The WRX, the front.

What is it about a Subaru that sets it apart from the others? Legacy: All wheel drive and handling, and then engine performance. The legacy and outback have a reputation of feeling under powered. WRX: its got it all.

- Subaru seems to have worked on changing their image over the past few years - how would describe their new direction? What are they about now, compared to the past? Now, don't know, but they are finally adding potent engines in the line-up accross the board.

Stereotype for me - what type of person is a "Subaru person"? What has surprised me is that the political affiliation during election times is split almost equally between conservative and liberal by judging from bumper stickers on Subarus in my area. They appeal to both sides of the fence.

You pull up next to a Forrester. Who's driving? A 40-50 year old female professor/teacher type.

How about for a WRX sedan? A young single or married male 20-30 years old with no kids.

An imprezza or wrx wagon? A young female 20-30 years old like a fresh out of college and ready for professional life type (like a teacher, nurse, veterinarian, etc.)

A new Legacy? Married male and females 30 something years old with a couple infant/kid car seats in the back. If it's a male, then it's usually a Legacy GT.

Compared to people who drive Nissan/Toyota/Ford, Subaru drivers are much more....what? Into doing things outdoors: biking, kayaking, skiing, etc.

From the original poster - Thanks to you who have responded.

It's interesting to see your different perspectives.

Would love to hear from others.

Which of the previous posts do you agree with most?

Any different thoughts - something we haven't said yet...?

Go for the better milage with better preformance angle. In areas that snow, concentrate on the grip and handling in snow. Video shots of cars zooming down dry highways are nice, but plowing through a foot of snow with more falling and not having to stop is a major benifit to subarus. Pushing capability and performance in the same add would be good. Focus on bad weather, cause thats where the subarus shine. I've convinced a Ford man to switch to subarus because of the miserable experiences he had this winter in his 99 explorer. He was pissed because he was sliding all over the highways while "one of your da+n subarus blew past me." Family safety while tackeling adverse conditions is good.

Subaru owners are often people who will stop to think about things, instead of just taking every thing at face value....I think. The ones in this community are much more helpful too. Non of the "Fishizzle, dude I should take a cr*p on yer ride. it suks. Yur gay" B.S. that you see on other boards.

Guest lothar34
I agree with Legacy777. The new ad campign sucks ballzak. What's this silly 'driven by whats inside' junk? Who is that dork on a bike endorsing stuff? Who cares?

Personally, I would keep the "dork on the bike." If for no other reason than that he's going to try to win a record sixth straight Tour de France next month...

The only ads I've seen for the new body have been for the Outback. There really should be more out there for the Legacy. They've finally got something to compete with other Japanese V6 sedans, and they're not getting the word out to enough people.

The only ads I've seen for the new body have been for the Outback. There really should be more out there for the Legacy. They've finally got something to compete with other Japanese V6 sedans, and they're not getting the word out to enough people.

Yeah....they really need to advertise the legagy gt....NON outback. If they can get the advertising right....you'll pull in a younger crowd with the legacy. Simply because it's a very nice car, stylish, agressive, yet has the balls to back it. If I didn't have student loans, I'd probably get one. I think professionals in their late 20's is not an unreasonable market.

lothar, I was thinking of headin out to one of the subie dealerships in town to see if I could do a test drive. You wanna go some time?

I will address the Subaru experience from my perspective, 30ish professional 2 kids outdoors lover. This group is buying mostly outbacks and foresters.

To me, our outback is one of very few cars that can make it up our road with 14" of fresh powder on it. I love the way the legacy wagon handles but it lacks the ground clearance I need. Subaru to me means value and utility. Most of my peers are driving trailblazers and explorers, or saturns and hyundais, YUCK!!! Subaru means you are different, you think for yourself, you don't follow the crowd. Subaru owners expect more. Subaru is the epitome of the SUV mindset before the SUV mindset was going to the mall and the grocery store. Most Subaru owners actually use their vehicles to their full potential, something that can be said of very few SUVs.

I will address the Subaru experience from my perspective, 30ish professional 2 kids outdoors lover. This group is buying mostly outbacks and foresters.

To me, our outback is one of very few cars that can make it up our road with 14" of fresh powder on it. I love the way the legacy wagon handles but it lacks the ground clearance I need. Subaru to me means value and utility. Most of my peers are driving trailblazers and explorers, or saturns and hyundais, YUCK!!! Subaru means you are different, you think for yourself, you don't follow the crowd. Subaru owners expect more. Subaru is the epitome of the SUV mindset before the SUV mindset was going to the mall and the grocery store. Most Subaru owners actually use their vehicles to their full potential, something that can be said of very few SUVs.

I definitely agree with this statement.....subaru owner's typically are not sheep. I for one like to have something that is unique....road less traveled if you will.

I wish I could take credit for that, but someone here has already used it, I just borrowed it.

I love you first comment!!! :lol:

But you will find loyalty among Subaru owners.

I think Subaru has hit a niche market in the 80's with the ski teams and today with the biking community. I ride mtn bikes and would say that 50 percent of the trail lots are Subaru's here in Colorado.

If you were to drive a bunch of new cars without logos on them, how would you know which were the Subaru? What is it about a Subaru that sets it apart from the others?

Distinctive, understated design that remains elegant. You would only catch a WRX Impreza first glance. The rest would appear to blend in, but once you understand the solid design language, the Subes would shine.

If you can hear their engines, the Subes would be making the slightly off-beat rumble that indicates a boxer engine.

That's a point, if you want four-wheel-drive and a boxer engine there's only Subaru and Porsche left to choose from.

Oh, the question says you are actually driving them! The Sube would be the one that communicates with you. The controls all feel connected to the oily bits underneath. Not like Audi/Volvo which have totally anesthetised steering and over-servoed brakes.

If you got a little ambitious in a bend and the car started to skid/slide it would do so progressively and allow you plenty of chances to catch things without embarassing you. (Most cars would understeer into the nearest stationary object.)

They are trying to alert people to the fact that only does AWD allow off-roading, but it gives the car a superb balance on tarmac too. The entire drivetrain is low set and symmetrical around the longitudinal axis, to the advangtage of handling. The low center of gravity allows softer suspension, to cope with bad surfaces, without producing roll in corners. Best of both worlds.

Friendly, loyal, critically-minded <- That's why they chose a better car!

I would just throw out my idea of what a "subaru person is", both to help you out and to see if I've got it right.

When I think of subaru peoplem, no matter if they've got a '79 wagon or an '04 WRX, aside from people that own them solely for reasons of AWD, decent fuel economy, needing a family car, etc., the "subaru person" is the car enthusiast who is practical. He/she loves to drive hard and fast on a regular basis, but needs that same car to haul the kids around, make weekend runs to Home Depot, and in so many cases, blast through several feet of snow during the winter. This person isn't a watered-down car nut, but one that realizes that there is a car that is both a blast to drive while being able to do everything else, while still not giving you a heart attack at the gas pump.

Basically, soccer mom by day, Petter Solberg by night.

you guys have really got it bang on with the legasy... my parents drive an 01 legasy(and an isuzu rodeo)...

but we live in Vancouver and we make constant trips to Whistler Blackcomb... a lot of people are afraid to drive the sea to ski highway in the dark during a snowstorm and i constantly see cars in the ditch... mostly big trucks, little cars, buses(ya i saw a bus in a ditch... actually two... they hit each other then into the ditch!), mini vans, SUV... the only car i haven't seen in the ditch is a Subaru!!! maybe you could do a thing with the sea to ski or other dangerous road... (sea to ski is the most dangerous road in Canada i think...)

but we never worry when were in our legasy... i used to feel safe in the truck but now i don't feel as safe in the truck... i dunno why... its because the subaru is safer!!!

i don't really know how you could use this... maybe a bit about safety...

ours is a legasy wagon... but i don't really think of it as a wagon... i think of it as a subaru and ONLY a subaru...

when anybody says, "oh did you take the wagon?" i would say, "eh? ohhh you mean the subaru... YES!" --- there you go! a good slogan!!!:grin:

does anybody else feel this... you don't drive a sadan, wagon, coupe, or what ever... you drive a SUBARU!!! --- ah ha! another one!!!:grin:

this kinda makes me think... owning a subaru has some prestige to it... not like "i went to harvard" type of prestige... i don't really know what it is...

but i have writen far to much and i am done...

hope this helps in some way...

Sorry guys: I don't want to spoil the party, but don't you see the irony? Who knows if or when the Subarus of the new millenium will begin to show chinks in their armor? This is a non-profit website dedicated to technical support for Subie owners - it's the best thing going. How about an add that says, "Subaru: we pay more for advertising than for Research and Development." Didn't these obscene quality control issues coincide with Subaru's Sport Utility Wagon campaign.Those of you with headgasket issues or premature wheel bearing failures (Foresters) can relate. The only explanation as to why Subaru does not send out mass recalls is because they realize that Subaru customers are quite loyal and that the cost of, say, a headgasket recall on all Phase I 2.5 L engines does not flip the cost/benefit equation in their favor. In other words, the benefit of keeping loyal customers happy does not outweigh the cost of paying for the recall. Subaru believes that they can make up for this loss with a new add campaign. This is an abominable case of corporate irresponsibility. While I have greatly benefited, and enjoyed, reading the input of so many knowledgeable members on this site, it galls me to read about some of the premature failures that result from nothing other than defective design and poor quality control (I am thinking of theotherskip's treatise on headgasket and clutch replacement). As for those of you with the glorious 2.2 L engine, you probably have every reason to sing the praises of Subaru.

That said, I really love my Subie and agree with almost everything that has been written. We have had good luck with it thus far.

Just one man's honest opinion.

You need to remember that bad press spreads 10 times as fast as good press does. So for every headgasket failure....there's someone without any problems. If you really want to play the statistics game you really need to know the whole pool and hear from everyone in the pool.

You need to remember that bad press spreads 10 times as fast as good press does. So for every headgasket failure....there's someone without any problems. If you really want to play the statistics game you really need to know the whole pool and hear from everyone in the pool.

Hi,

I absolutely agree with you; it's difficult to conduct an objective study with random sampling. Nonetheless, I own a car that had both rear bearings replaced at 36K and 69K miles by two different dealers to the tune of around $800 each. I am not a Hondaphile, but my 85 Accord, the only other car I've owned, had no wheel bearing issues up 220K miles when I gave it away. I have a Phase II 2.5L engine in my car so I expect to have pretty good luck with the headgaskets, but even if just small fraction of the Phase I 2.5 L engines are having premature headgasket failures due to faulty quality control issues rather than owner neglect, it really is something that Subaru should unequivocally cover.

Opening shot -close in on man dreaming - picture of his dream= driving in a Subaru WRX

skip to another man dreaming of 4Xing in a Forrester

then to a woman in an Outback

then to another person dreaming of an Impreza

pull back to shots of each of them sitting in their vehicles in the ditch off of the road in the snow

cut to: Where will you be when you wish you had bought a Subaru?

copywrite@usmb.net - all proceeds from the use of this to be donated to Ultimater Subaru.net