Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much should head gasket job cost 2.5 SOHC

The PO130 is a knock sensor out of range I beleive. Mine did that, and I got one from amazon for under 10 bux and it fixed that code. Likely this sensor fails cuase the crapola piston design that makes the engine knock like a sherman tank.....

The rest of your questions are answered previously by General Disorder in this thread.

I had this done at a local reputable shop for $600 labor, which included resurfing heads. Parts were close to same as labor. For that kind of money above I would consider like above and buy a lower mileage engine, and do the work myself other than the head job. They are really not that bad to tear down. I would have done the work myself just didn't have the time to do it. Whichever way you go I wish you the best.

I did get a quote for HG (including machining heads if needed) , Timing belt, water pump and thermostat, from a well known Subaru shop (but not dealer)

for about $3,150 after all taxes and fees. (basically 2k labor, 870 parts).

I realize it is not easy job but this does hurt. Trying to bring it down a bit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We do that job for $2750 including rings. $2940 with a factory 10mm oil pump. You can save money and get a better quality job if you bring it down to Portland and have us do it. 

That extra 25% cost of living in Seattle is the reason our prices down here are lower. 

Also no sales tax.  :D

GD

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do you want the gasket ending in -670 or the one ending in -770 as you state?

My understanding is the -770 gasket is for the later design engines and have a different pattern for the cooling holes than the earlier engines.  I am going to do the head gaskets in my 2000 OBW with an EJ25(1) I think and want to get the best gasket.

Typically we recommend doing a piston ring replacement and piston skirt knurling if you can find a shop that does it. And you don't want to reseal the oil pump, replace it with a 10mm pump. The factory 7mm on that model is not sufficient. You want the head gasket ending in 770 part number. It's for the later turbo models. 

GD

We do that job for $2750 including rings. $2940 with a factory 10mm oil pump. You can save money and get a better quality job if you bring it down to Portland and have us do it. 

That extra 25% cost of living in Seattle is the reason our prices down here are lower. 

Also no sales tax.  :D

GD

Well, work called and it looks like I am gonna be back to work in 2 weeks. I am gonna try and get this by on a patch up for now. I have always wanted to see Portland, maybe a cross country drive is in order. :)

The 770 gasket is what we always order. The coolant passage mis match doesn't matter in the slightest. The recommended dealer gasket doesn't match up either. In fact if you really take a look at gaskets and cylinder heads almost none of the Subaru combinations actually match up entirely. End of the day it make no difference at all. You guys are way over thinking this.

GD