Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 and EA81T replacement in Brat

ojito

Which brats, if any, won't the EA81 or the EA81Turbo fit in. Any bell housing or wire harness or motor mount or exhaust manifold or distributor changes necessary? Was there any thing wrong with the EA81 since subaru only offered it from 83 to 84?

Very good you guys...I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. So I'm in the process of deciding on which used engine folks have the best price on there 1800. The only Leed I have now is from a place in Arizona (a 86 Gl with 13000 miles for $820 w/shipping).And 1800's were paired w/5 speed tyranny evidently so need to get that too.

Won't directly fit into an 80 without an 81 GL Brat engine cradle or modifications to the steering linkage. The 1800 wasn't offered in a first gen except the 81 GL Brat. As stated you will need a side starter bell housing transmission as well. The only 5 speed offered with the EA81 is a 2 wheel drive trans. You will need the 4 speed 4WD trans that matches or a 5 speed 4WD from and 85 to 89 but that also requires modifications to driveline, mounting, linkage, etc.

It's not as simple as you think or have been led to believe.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder