Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Turbo??'s

First thing that you need is a donor Turbo Legacy. From that pull the engine tranny and rear diff, pull the complete front wiring harness plus the ECU, you'll need the trottle pedal (a separate unit on the Legacy), and the pedal assy plus the hydraulic clutch setup. I believe Aaron's has a Legacy Turbo there, no motor though, but I know the tranny is there. A lot of the front has been cut away so I don't know how much of the front wiring harness is still there. The pedals are still there, but the hydraulic clutch setup isn't. Once you get all those things, let me know.

Gee Shean, then maybe you should have worded it so you said that like, " I want to replace my stock EA82T turbocharger with one from a Turbo Legacy." OK, now that I know what you are asking then, you'll need to either get the Turbo Legacy downpipe or modify your downpipe since there are 5 bolts that hold on the downpipe on the Legacy turbocharger. Tex put a WRX turbocharger on his engine, everything he needed to do for that is what you would have to do for yours. It is not the same turbocharger, but it bolts up the same.

But I guess I should ask, why do you want to do this, because the Legacy turbocharger is bigger?? Bigger is not always better. Bigger will give you more turbo lag, more spinning mass to over come, in other words it takes longer to spool up under boost. Also the one from the Legacy is tuned for a 2.2 liter engine, not a 1.8. The 1.8 may not produce enough exhaust gas pressure to efficiently spin that turbocharger.

you've got some great points, but i was thinking of building a hybrid if i kept it, then see what it could do. but im not going to keep it, its just too much work for me to try to do when i am leaving for phoenix in a month.

oh did you get my PM about the VIN by the way??

Thanks,

Shean

bigger is better in this case.

the stock unit is better suited for a paper weight - the purists can keep them.

the easiest way to do is to go all out and find an intercooler, a WRX down pipe and turbo back exhaust. youll spend maybe $200 on all of this, goto www.nasioc.com - guys sell stock exhaust systems for $50.

the VF11 will bolt to your exisisting uppipe, then from there will go to the WRX downpipe. you will have to grind a bolt hole out on the turbo but that will take 5 minutes.

yes you will have lag. but the gains will outweigh that when its all said and done.