Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Too many codes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 go giants

go giants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • dallas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

I recently changed engines took automatic from 2003 subaru and installed in my 2000 outback manual used my intale from old engine the are both 2.5 engine runs great but have codes p0500,p0122,p1100,p1101,p0136,p0131,p0132,p0325,and p0122 any suggestion should i have changed ecm also

#2 montana tom

montana tom

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • trout creek montana

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

Suprised that it runs, the 2000 2.5 MT has a different crank sender than the automatic does.  Your ecm is confused.   Slide the cogged wheel off of the crankshaft and switch them, it will end the confusion. 

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 22,764 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

1.  reset the codes and see which ones come back first

2.  you probably need to swap the crank sprocket and drivers side cam sprocket - they have different trigger marks, but otherwise are identical.  

trigger marks are on the back if you want to look for them. 

although if it drives maybe you already swapped them?

3.  pull main engine connector, clean/inspect, plug it back in and make sure it's fully seated. 

#4 go giants

go giants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • dallas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

I did change cam and crank sprocket i mean car runs good except dor oil leak i cant find source of as yet but i need to get car inspectef i did replace sownstream 02 but still got code p0136

#5 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

These are generic, not Subie-specific:

P0500       Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
P0122       Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input
P1100       MAF Sensor Intermittent/ Check of all OBDII Systems Not Complete
P1101       MAF Sensor Out Of Self Test Range./KOER Not Able To Complete KOER Aborted
P0136       O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0131       O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0132       O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0325       Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
P0122       Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input

You're welcome :-)

Reset and See what comes back as noted above.

On older Subies if the KS was bad it'd cause all kinds of grief - and extraneous codes. Fix it (cheap) or swap from other engine (if connectors are compatible)...reset codes and see.

Your '00 is MAP-based, so don't trust the MAF codes either. The 02 codes lead me to believe something is wrong w/your harness - did you disconnect them when you dropped the y-pipe to the heads or ?

Edited by wtdash, 17 February 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#6 GreaseMonkey03

GreaseMonkey03

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Yonkers, NY

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

oh boy. So many things could be causing this.
Most of it could very well be a ground you forgot to put back. There could also be a plug or two that wasn't plugged in or fell back out or that doesn't transfer from one motor to the other. Most if not all of this can be remedied.
Any time I swap motors I put them side by side and try to make sure everything from the old motor gets swapped over. You'd be surprised how many small differences there can be.
As far as the map/maf, it sounds like the computer is looking for something that isn't there. In which case the codes will probably never go away. I'm guessing you will end up having to swap the ecu.
Did you swap the transmission too?

#7 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

^Both engines are MAP - not MAF - so ECU shouldn't matter.....IMHO>

Edited by wtdash, 17 February 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#8 go giants

go giants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • dallas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for responses i will check wireing thos weekend and see if it makes a difference

#9 GreaseMonkey03

GreaseMonkey03

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Yonkers, NY

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Wtdash do you know if harnesses are the same from one year to the next? I'm wondering if there arent connector differences from one to the other. He may just need to swap the harness back over from the old motor.
I don't know enough in particular about Subaru motors to know, but I know from other vehicles I've swapped, sometimes things don't play well together from one year to the next.
Do these require any re learn procedures?

#10 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

used my intale from old engine 

This should include the harness (I'd hope), w/the change in sprockets, should have been plug and play....EGR on '03? Just need to plug the EGR hole in the driver's side head. The ECU's not looking for it, so won't miss it.

Relearn is behind the scenes...meaning you won't get codes initially. Some systems (EGR, Purge) take a few drive cycles (ignition On>Off>On>etc) to verify, and throw a CEL if something's out of whack.

I'm NOT the 'go to' on the '00+ stuff as much...so no quoting! :-)

Edited by wtdash, 17 February 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#11 go giants

go giants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • dallas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

I used harnes and intake from old motor and plugged egr port so thats why its confusing but i will double ck when i get hm this weekend thanks again

#12 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 7,155 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

I would start by making sure all the main grounds on the intake and body are tight. The ECU grounds directly to the top of the manifold on the passenger side. If these are loose, it will throw multiple codes with no indication where to go next.

#13 go giants

go giants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • dallas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Ok i will. Update after checking

#14 go giants

go giants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • dallas

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Ok i looked and all grounds are attached to engine and body still have codes active

#15 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 22,764 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

1. Does it have the crank sprocket and drivers side cam sprocket from "old motor" or "replacement motor"? Those are the only differences between 00-04 EJ25's. They are otherwise all plug and play interchangeable.

There are no wiring harness issues between those two engines.

2. Clear codes and see which come back first.

3. Did you disconnect, check, and reseat the main harness plugs?

4. Was the previous engine running perfectly well immediately before the swap?

Did it sit for a long time?

If so you may have rodent damage to wiring and this isn't swap related.

I've seen so many Subarus with multiple disconnected ground straps, I'm not sure when and how it matters but it's not commonly a huge issue.

I'd like to know which ones actually cause issues. That might make it easier to focus and track down.

Edited by grossgary, 18 February 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#16 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 12,577 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:05 PM

P1100 and P1101 are Subaru specific codes.
1100 is for the starter switch circuit
1101 is for the neutral switch.
P0500 Speed sensor
131,132,136 O2 sensors
All have connectors and wiring on top of the trans. If the trans was jacked up and pinched against the bottom of the firewall tunnel the wiring could be pinched or cut.

The TPS code could just be due to misadjusted TPS. Maybe got knocked around when the intake was being installed.

Knock sensor is under the manifold, easy to miss when plugging everything in. Make sure it's plugged in, replace it if it's old or the plastic housing is cracked.

Edited by Fairtax4me, 18 February 2017 - 11:09 PM.

#17 go giants

go giants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • dallas

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

Ok its possible i will try to check all of those things asap thanks again for all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users