Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently bought a 1995 subaru legacy with about 180k miles on it.

I knew when I bought it that it had an issue with the oil pressure guage, which I fixed. After that, it ran well for a few weeks. Then a few days ago I took it less than a mile to the store, and it drove great on the way there. When I tried to leave, the car died while backing out. It would start again, but die seconds later. I went and reset the wiring to the spark plugs and got it to run enough to get home.

Now, if I start it and let it idle the at temp light flashes 16 times then the car dies. It always starts again on the first crank, then dies again. If I push the gas pedal at idle, it takes a bit longer before it dies. It dies almost immediately when trying to back out of a spot.

I know the very basics about cars, but I am well versed using tools and multimeter in other situations, I just need to be pointed at where to start trying to diagnose this issue. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

The 16 flashes indicates a problem with the transmission.  It may not be the problem that's causing your car to stall.  Probably 99% of the time the 16 flashes just means that the trans duty C solinoid has failed.  This would not cause your car to stall.  You can search this and other forums and determine the method to read the cause of the fault. 

flashing 16 times indicates a fault code in the transmission - google the procedure for reading the codes.  it's a little convoluted so most people dont' know it off the top of their head.

1.  does the car die while idling or only when you put it into park?

it almost sounds like the torque converter is locked and it's just stalling out.  

try starting it in park and in nuetral and see if that makes a difference?

can you get it into drive and moving forward at all?

• Like 1

Thanks for responses guys! I think I found the major issue as well as another one.

There is a wire that goes from the bottom of the fusebox to the positive terminal. This was making poor connection. I fixed it and it began to start every time again but when I push the gas it dies.

I also noticed that in the two weeks I've had it, the needle has been on e but I haven't seen a gas light. The gauge doesn't work. Now, it tries to turn over but never does, almost as if its out of gas.

I think that wire was the issue to begin with, but I think that I ran it out of gas while trying to figure this out!

Gotta find a gas can do I can text this theory, but I'm pretty confident in it.