Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lets talk struts/shocks....

Ok....what are the factory struts? Gas, or liquid?

Aftermarket....you have a choice of gas and liquid....but most aftermarket OE style replacements are....what? gas or liquid?

In this place where you can get all kinds of race car goodies...ive seen different 'weight' damper fluid for motorcycles...most notibly its for motocross and the like...

Here is what I was thinking, could it be possible (yes it is, anything is possible for me!!!!....but lets try to get realistic for once... :headbang: ) to drill a hole in the stock struts...drain the hopefully thin fluid...tap the hole so a plug can screw in....then fill the strut back up with thicker stuff....thereby hopefully increasing the dampening rates...??????????????????

It seems that....upon my last search...no one was willing to revalve/rebuild the stock or aftermarket stuff....at all. The aftermarket stuff avalible is NOT going to be suitible for my endeavors in suspension modifications....AGX and GR2 is what I hear is avalible for the front and rear respectibly.

I think the valving for gas will be very different than what you would need for oil. You might start with aftermarket oil struts and attempt a oil switch, but I doubt you could drill and tap the cartage with getting some metal inside which would lead to a quick seal failure.

I’ve been doing some thinking on this issue, the back is no problem as its really a coil over set up, revise the upper mount and the options are endless. The front is the real challenge, I think the best solution would be to find a cartage style strut that would fit inside a modified stock strut tube. If the cartage was sourced from modern sports car there should be a good choice of performance options.

For direct fit stuff the RX struts are stiffest, and I think KYB has RX spec replacements.

I haven’t really looked into it to deeply yet, if I come up with any thing I’ll be sure to post.

Gary