Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lets talk struts/shocks....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:17 PM

Ok....what are the factory struts? Gas, or liquid?

Aftermarket....you have a choice of gas and liquid....but most aftermarket OE style replacements are....what? gas or liquid?

In this place where you can get all kinds of race car goodies...ive seen different 'weight' damper fluid for motorcycles...most notibly its for motocross and the like...

Here is what I was thinking, could it be possible (yes it is, anything is possible for me!!!!....but lets try to get realistic for once... :headbang: ) to drill a hole in the stock struts...drain the hopefully thin fluid...tap the hole so a plug can screw in....then fill the strut back up with thicker stuff....thereby hopefully increasing the dampening rates...??????????????????

It seems that....upon my last search...no one was willing to revalve/rebuild the stock or aftermarket stuff....at all. The aftermarket stuff avalible is NOT going to be suitible for my endeavors in suspension modifications....AGX and GR2 is what I hear is avalible for the front and rear respectibly.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:25 PM

Factory stuff is all gas to my knowledge - generally made by KYB or Tokiko (whoever that is). Just my ovsevations from looking at a lot of struts and shocks on Subaru's.

GD

#3 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:40 PM

The RX stuff is KYB, and the non RX is the Tok stuff....i believe that the WRX and such is KYB as well.

#4 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:05 PM

KYB AGXs are excellent shocks/struts. The Nissan crew has been using them for years, with nothing but great results. They have adjustable damping, which is always nice.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:27 PM

My Brat, and my wagon both had KYB factory struts and shocks. It's a mixed bag from what I can see.

GD

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:12 AM

Ok, gas ones...

what if I vacant the gas, and pour in some thin fluid....????? increased dampening rates? Yay or nay?

#7 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:43 AM

I think the valving for gas will be very different than what you would need for oil. You might start with aftermarket oil struts and attempt a oil switch, but I doubt you could drill and tap the cartage with getting some metal inside which would lead to a quick seal failure.

I’ve been doing some thinking on this issue, the back is no problem as its really a coil over set up, revise the upper mount and the options are endless. The front is the real challenge, I think the best solution would be to find a cartage style strut that would fit inside a modified stock strut tube. If the cartage was sourced from modern sports car there should be a good choice of performance options.

For direct fit stuff the RX struts are stiffest, and I think KYB has RX spec replacements.

I haven’t really looked into it to deeply yet, if I come up with any thing I’ll be sure to post.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users