Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question, at power on all lights on my console light up, except for the gas light. I've driven the car pretty low on gas and not had it come on either. Should it be lighting up at power on, or I'd it reserved for the 2 gallon mark.

I haven't tested it running extremely low running around with a gas can yet, but that's the next step unless it's supposed to light up at power on, then I can assume the bulb is blown.

Unlike the airbag and ABS lights the gas light does not come on when you turn the key. You also have to get the gas level pretty dang low to make it come on- I've had some pretty tense moments wondering if and when mine was going to come on, never did see it until I parked the car on a steep hill while it was almost empty.

Just do some basic math at a gas station. 

If you have a 16 gallon tank and you never put in more than 13 gallons then you're never getting low enough to trigger a "low fuel light" (they usually come on between 2.5-3 gallons depending on vehicle). 

look up how much gas your vehicle holds when full and the owners manual will tell you how much gas triggers the low fuel light. 

(online, owners manual, cars101.com, etc)

Do all Subaru's have low fuel lights?  Check your owners manual? 

If you have a 16 gallon tank and you never put in more than 13 gallons then you're never getting low enough to trigger a 3 gallon or less "low fuel light". 

On my 2000 obw , when the low fuel light pops on,  I take over 14 gallons to fill up. 

Pretty sure that's a 16.9 gallon tank, so if the light comes on with 2.7 gallons left, that's 14.2 gallons, right about what you're saying.  

i've looked it up before in owners manuals - it specifically states how many gallons are left when the light comes on.  outbacks are usually around 2.7-2.9 i think.  imprezas a little lower.