Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU causing car to die!

So I was adjusting my TPS today and had unplugged the ecu when I was messing around in the car and have the ecu loose. When I move the ECU it can cause the flashing sequence(check engine code) to start or stop. If I hold the ecu in a certain way I can get the car to start, once started though if I move the ECU it will instantly kill the car, regardless of what rpm it is at, as in it kills the spark to the engine. Help would be greatly appreciated! 

wiggle the wiring while the ECU is in place and see if that initiates symptoms as well.  this may isolate whether the wiring or ECU are to blame. 

pull the connectors out and check all the pins

are you positive the connectors were fully seated when you were wrestling with the ECU?

why were you messing with the TPS and ECU to begin with?

if you have easy access - get another EA82 ECU and swap it out and see if it does the same thing.

Ill bolt the ecu back up and try wiggling the harness. The pins all look clean and so do the connectors. The connectors were fully seated into the ECU. I don't have access to another ECU on hand. I was checking for continuity in the connectors for the TPS. The TPS was giving me code 31.

There are at lest a few that could shut it off at idle.

The idle air control solenoid is one. A coupl of power feeds. The coil is triggered via the ecu, so the signal from the distributor or the drive to the coil.

It's tough up under there, but try to wiggle each wire as separately as possible.

Intermittents are a pain to troubleshoot.

Alright I'll be looking into that until then when I was checking the ohms for the tps at the ecu connector the fsm says to check between 26 and 35 for up to 6.5 ohms I was o my getting 1. Then it says to check for ohms between b and d on the tps and still only got 1 fsm says to replace tps, does this seem right?