Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Munched cranksaft pulley key - need help !

I had just replaced timing belt on 09 Forester, and somehow managed to destroy the key

when tightening the crank pulley / balancer.  Part of the key is embedded in the backside

of the balancer partially in the keyway,  and the remains is smashed up against the crankshaft sprocket that drives the timing belt, and at the top is spread out to about 6.5 mm in width vs, the approx 5 mm width of the keyway.  

Not much to try and grip onto, and I wanted to get an idea of the options open to me to get the

remains of the key out so I can install a new balancer,   Has any one run into this situation before ?

Thanks for any help you can provide !

Doug

If needed, I will try to post a couple of photos tomorrow - right now it's dark and snowing..

Don't forget to use a cutting fluid when tapping those holes.  If you have a good hardware nearby, they'll have something.  If not, just search online for "tapping fluid" just about anything that comes up will work fine.  Once you have the pieces apart, if you can see the broken pieces of the woodruff key, try knocking them out with a flathead screwdriver you don't care about.

If you're feeling brave, WD40 will do in a pinch, just make sure you're using a new tap