Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long travel front suspension

Rallyru

They don't hit the ea81 crossmember. I was taking off from a stop light very carefully because I knew these axles where iffy and I got a horrible vibration. I powered through it and it stopped after 30ft. I drove the other 20 miles to work and when I was pulling into my parking lot at work the axle tried to seize and pulled me hard right. After work I got the car towed home. Even just driving into my garage was hard because the axle kept skipping and catching and trying to pull the wheel out of my hands. I should know exactly what went wrong in about an hour or so.

On my last set of Suretrack EA axles I stripped out the splines where the inner cv connects to the axle shaft. I think it's because those splines are very small. The first time I broke it was with 1.5 inches of suspension lift, 26 inch tires, and the stock ea71. Now I have 2 inches of suspension lift, 30 inch tires, an an ej25. I've had good luck with my Orileys axles. They lasted 5 months before they started to sound bad. I've had axles get so worn out that it welt like I was driving on washboard, and I drove it like that for a week before I could replace them. Suretrack are the only axles I've had fail to the point of not being able to drive the car

I Would love to see pictures your problem is different than what i had sounds like yours dident come with any greese mine the cage exploded on the highway the inside was cv joint soup the cage  broke in to little pieces and the balls where rattleing around inside as it went down th3 road lol it was greased but so many of the new axles ive bought dident have a drop of greese in them

The ea81 is 2 inches shorter on each side so I swapped to ea82 control arms witch are 1.5 inches longer then the ea81 ones. I then widened the subframe .5 inch on each side to give me the correct width

I Would guess someone already makes them for another car but i have no idea what car to look at i wonder if the splines match the older style and if the cups could be swaped its that telescoping shaft that is what im after

Edited by ferp420

I ordered them from rock auto and I'm not sure about their return policy's. I might make a few calls on Monday and see what my options are. If they won't return them I'll take them apart and take lots of pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Found some interesting information.

Subaru SVX 3.3 have larger inner CV joints compatible with standard male EJ gearboxes. The outer CV joint is larger too and can be compatible with minor modification using a smaller dust seal on the  Forester wheel hub. Another solution is to swap the outer CV joint for a standard Subaru (Forester, Legacy, Impreza...)

The SVX inner CV joint can take an angle of approx. 30°+. The only concern is the plunge, 40mm vs 45mm for the standard tripod type but as it is, I think, a ball type, it should be ok (less angle on the cage)

Haven't done the test but will report as soon as I have 2 axles, only have one yet...

Edited by jf1sf5

• 4 weeks later...

Some news on the SVX axles...they have the  tripod design.

The shafts are not compatible with the Forester, Legacy, Impreza. The splines and OD are different, bigger.

I brought the outer cv's to a machine shop to take 3mm OD off to suit the Forester's dust and bearing seals. It was impossible to take the shafts apart from the outer cv's.

Changed the boots and reassembled the axles then fitted them to the Forester. All seemed to go well but I had an issue...the SVX axles are 1 cm longer compressed than the Foresters and that pushes the tripod against the wall of the inner cv on the last 2cm of the suspension droop.

I think that the solution will be to change the SF "A" arms  for SG's as they are 1 cm longer.

Subarus are Lego's !

• 1 month later...