Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keyless Entry on 96 Outback?????

Guys,

I just got a '96 Legacy Outback from an auto auction. It only has 1 key and no remotes. It does have power locks but I don't have any way of know if it is supposed to have keyless entry. Anybody know if it was standard on the '96? If not, anyone know how to tell if it has keyless entry? Mainly I need to know because I can't get the key into the hatch, feels like something in there is blocking it. So...as far as I know there is no way to open the hatch without the key (is that right...no inside release)?

Thanks,

Todd

Guys,

I just got a '96 Legacy Outback from an auto auction. It only has 1 key and no remotes. It does have power locks but I don't have any way of know if it is supposed to have keyless entry. Anybody know if it was standard on the '96? If not, anyone know how to tell if it has keyless entry? Mainly I need to know because I can't get the key into the hatch, feels like something in there is blocking it. So...as far as I know there is no way to open the hatch without the key (is that right...no inside release)?

Thanks,

Todd

On mine, you can use the clicker remote or use the key. Mine is pretty standard, and it DOES have remote keyless entry. It is also supposed to open all loocks when the driver door is unlocked either with the key or with the lever on the inside.

There is such a thing as a valet key for the sedans (opens only the driver door, but not the trunk, for obvious reasons re: valets) but I don't know if that was available on the Outback. Being a wagon and all, this would be pretty pointless.

If you want lots of nifo, check here:

http://www.cars101.com/outback_archive95-97.html#1996%20Outback

Feels like something is blocking it? Does the key go in at all? If the key does not go in I would think there might be something with the lock. I don't have keyless in my Subaru but have never heard of a car with keyless that does not accept a key.

If the key goes in and does not turn, then perhaps it is a poorly cut or worn key. You can get a new one from the dealer with your key code (often found on dealer sticker in owner manual) which may or may not work better. Is the key original or a copy? Regular keys are cut to a DA25 blank while valet keys (which probably won't open the hatch or glove box - did you try the key there?) are cut to something different (SR6 ?).

I have a '96 wagon and it did come with a valet key. Never used it.

-Heikki

The key will not go into the lock, almost like there is a broken key in the lock. The battery is dead. I'll try unlocking the doors to see if it will open the hatch lock after I charge the battery.

For those with power locks on a '96, do you have keyless entry? I'm asking if it was possible to get a '96 with power locks and without keyless entry.

Thanks,

Todd

If you use the unlock button on the inside of the front door, it should unlock the liftgate. There is a manual latch handle under the trim above the license plate which opens the liftgate. It is not like some wagons where the key operates the latch. On Subaru's the key just blocks the external handle from working

The key will not go into the lock, almost like there is a broken key in the lock. The battery is dead. I'll try unlocking the doors to see if it will open the hatch lock after I charge the battery.

For those with power locks on a '96, do you have keyless entry? I'm asking if it was possible to get a '96 with power locks and without keyless entry.

Thanks,

Todd

Yes. According to cars101.com, power door locks was standard on the 96 Outback. Remote keyless entry was an option.

This is what I figured out from my used 98 Outback wagon that only came with the valet key.

The valet key is thicker than the master key. The thicker key will not fit into the hatch lock, nor into the glove compartment lock.

I made my valet key thinner with sandpaper and then it fit into the hatch and worked fine. You may have to round the edges a little, too.

Sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

Also note that the hatch can be unlocked by the "unlock" switch on the driver's door.

If it's supposed to have keyless entry, there will be a red button under the steering colum, down by the feet. The button might have a black cover on it, but if that is there, then the car had keyless entry. This is the reset button on the remote entry. So if you get some remotes and you have the button, you can reset the remotes to work for your car. If you need a remote I got one for cheap. I might have two, but I don't know where one is.

If it's supposed to have keyless entry, there will be a red button under the steering colum, down by the feet. The button might have a black cover on it, but if that is there, then the car had keyless entry. This is the reset button on the remote entry. So if you get some remotes and you have the button, you can reset the remotes to work for your car. If you need a remote I got one for cheap. I might have two, but I don't know where one is.

I'll take both of them (or one if that's all you can find). Email me at toddkageals@cox.net .

THanks a bunch.

Todd

if it has keyless entry there will be a black box maybe 8 or 10 inch on the left up under the dignostics connection ( if its like the legacys)
Not only that....as it turns out, there are two very large tags on the battery cables that state that the car has keyless entry and give instructions on how to reset it if the battery is disconnected. This car is equipped with keyless entry, just no remotes.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Todd