Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had a bad tranny in my 98 GT so I bought a JDM from a local company. The prblem I am having is it's blowing gear oil from the breather tube on the front diff. The oil level is correct, I checked that first. Other than that dripping onto the exhaust it seems fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

1.  AUTO or manual?

2.  Oil level is correct - which oil did you check - front diff, ATF, or gear oil?

3.  are you absolutely positive it's the correct fluid type - i presume you filled it, it didn't come pre-filled right?

if it's an automatic - make sure front diff has gear oil at proper level and ATF is properly filled in transmission. 

People sometimes confuse the ATF and gear oil on automatics. 

Manual trans shares gear oil between the front diff and gear set in the trans and just has one fill/dipstick for the gear oil. 

• Like 1

1.  the fluids are incorrect (type, location, or quantity)

2.  ATF is pushing past seals into the front diff, overfilling it and thereby pushing it out the diff breather. 

You won't notice any fluid issues right away because the gear oil masks the ATF and ATF quantity is nearly 10x that of the front diff. 

Just keep topping off the gear oil and eventually you'll notice the ATF is loosing fluid.