Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just put a new timing set on my 86 GL-10 4WD Wagon and it won't start.  I'm 95% sure the timing belts are on right. The car has fuel, spark, equal compression in all four cylinders, and the ignition timing is spot on. I pulled the intake off and cranked it over and there was air coming out of the intake on the compression stroke. Does anyone know if this is just a valve timing issue or something else?

After you put on the first timing belt, did you rotate the crankshaft 1 full turn before installing the second belt?  Haynes forgot to mention that step in their manual.  With both belts on, one of the camshaft marks should face up, the other should be down.

Ok then if it was running great 6,000 miles ago and then all of a sudden, and then you replace it and it doesn't start??? Come on dude. Go back and double check everything. Something isn't hooked up or something is wrong. I did a timing belt in my 2.2T and cranked and cranked and was like WTF. Then I went back through the procedure as if I hadn't done it and come to find out, on the crank, there is 2 different marks and I went off the front of the sprocket mark when once I read through it slowly realized that it was referring to the second mark on the back of the sprocket. Changed it and the car fired right off. I was smacking myself. So that is why I say double check. Use logic. It ran fine until the belt failure and now nothing. Double check. I wouldn't think you would have bent valves because it would still run but like crap. So, start from the beginning and double check.  :huh:

I did rotate the the crank 360 before setting the right belt and I triple checked ignition timing and spark. I also put brand new spark plugs in. I'm gonna do a leak down test on all the cylinders and the go from there  

should be 180

Good luck,

Sam

Verify by looking at the distributor installation instructions. With cylinder 1 at tdc the rotor should be pointing near 1 wire. It will run pretty far out.

Ignition timing mark and timing belt installation mark are 2 very different things.

The comment about feeling pressure come out of the intake sounds like wrong belt installation.

• Like 1