Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I have a cabin air filter? 2000 OBW

I had to YouTube a video on removing the glove compartment and all I found were how-to's for changing the cabin air filter and thought... I didn't know this car had a cabin air filter!

So sure enough I opened the cover where the filter should be and low and behold no filter. What I found was an empty compartment full of pine needles!!! I vacuumed out the debris as best as I could but I'm wondering if the filter was optional back then and can I simply drop one in?

There's rails in there that look like a filter would slide in.

I'll buy one if I know this is an option.

Hi,

I can't believe there wasn't a filter that a PO removed for whatever reason.

I can believe some models came WITH the cabin filter compartment and some w/out, but to have it w/out a filter installed? That doesn't compute.

Here's a DIY for replacing it.

Anyway...your HVAC system should be happier now. :-)

post-3804-0-01448300-1487967625_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

All of them had the compartment, most of them didn't get the filter. The optional filter also has a big bypass notch for where the blower motor resistor goes, so it doesn't filter nearly as well as it could. It also is after the blower, before the a/c evaporator, so it doesn't keep anything out of the fan.

I wouldn't bother putting the filter in. They're pricey and ineffectual. I did it once and realized it wasn't worth it. At least the hatch for changing filters makes it easier to get in there and vacuum off the A/C evaporator. It's clear the filter option was an afterthought, and not well executed. Normally I'd recommend cabin filters because they do make a big difference, especially for people with allergies. But with a big bypass? What's the point?

All of them had the compartment, most of them didn't get the filter. The optional filter also has a big bypass notch for where the blower motor resistor goes, so it doesn't filter nearly as well as it could. It also is after the blower, before the a/c evaporator, so it doesn't keep anything out of the fan.

I wouldn't bother putting the filter in. They're pricey and ineffectual. I did it once and realized it wasn't worth it. At least the hatch for changing filters makes it easier to get in there and vacuum off the A/C evaporator. It's clear the filter option was an afterthought, and not well executed. Normally I'd recommend cabin filters because they do make a big difference, especially for people with allergies. But with a big bypass? What's the point?

You bring up a good point.

I noticed during my research that this "blower motor resistor" (thanks btw, I didnt know what that was) in most images I see stick into the duct about 2" and look like a heat sink with fins, whereas mine is flat like and looks more like the top of a PC's CPU. Similar to this image http://parts.subaruofpuyallup.com/images/uploads/SimplePart%20-%20Subaru/fullsize/a_20160803_1304529526.png
Is it possible this may allow for a deeper fitting (different year maybe) filter which would allow less bypass?
It seems odd to put a filter in there if its meant to leave room for that heat sink when mine doesn't have a heat sink. There would literally be a space between that resistor element and the back of the filter. Edited by 211