Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale Having Cooling Issues After Work on Cooling System

kmpdx

If you have to move the ac compressor, you can just unbolt it and flip it up and back while it's hoses remain connected.

If the pipe groove and pump socket are clean and nor pitted, a new oring should seal that joint. I've had good luck with plumber silicon grease if it's all clean. If it is pitted, a small amount of rtv to fill the gaps has worked.

Pressure tests won't confirm headgaskets until they are very well blown.

• Like 1

It takes longer for the bubbles to start in the recovery tank. The gasses have to push all of the coolant back through its hose first.

Any other leaks in the system complicate trying to sort out what's happening.

Steady stream is not a good sign. Smell of exhaust is not a good sign. In time, a line of black crud can build up at the level the coolant sits at in the recovery tank. That's from exhaust, same thing, not a good sign.

No one wants it to be.  I try to be extra careful when diagnosing this over a forum, since it's not the same as being there, and its not a trivial project.  I've done it a few times, and it's no big deal to me, but it still a lot of time.

It's old enough to need a reseal anyways, I've never had one go much past 10 year / 150K miles without leaking oil from the head gasket / cam tower joints. 

I can also say that every time I have ever run one over normal temperature while low on coolant, it has eventually needed head gaskets.  Maybe in 6 days, maybe in 6 months, but none the less, same end.  Just different duration between the initial event and first signs and deterioration to the point of unusable.

It is critical to verify that the entire cooling system is right & tight as well, so you don't end up repeating the cycle.

OEM or Fel Pro Head gaskets.  OEM only for the intake gaskets and the O rings for the oil passage to the cam towers.

The Fel Pro head set and conversion kit give you everything else, including the seal for the oil pump shaft.  The micky mouse oring, is OEM only as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

So while pressure testing the system to root out leaks I found a (perhaps recently caused) leak on the filler neck. I decided to replace the radiator with the Spectra CU935 on Amazon for under $80. While I am still suspicious of a head gasket leak, the temp stayed around 1/3 on the temp sensor even under the exact same drive that stressed it before twice. I will be driving this up to Mt Hood next week to see how it does. 

The old radiator was TOAST. Looking at it when I got it out it some little spots on some of the fins that were suspect. Also I flushed the new CU935 and water seemed to flow much more freely than when i flushed the old one.

What I thought was stop leak looks like it was oxidized copper. This was pushing like a fine sand in to where the hoses clamp and compromising the seals which contributed to leaks.

just wanted to add that the CU935 will fit in to the Loyale with a different lower hose than what is stock for a Loyale radiator. As discussed in multiple other places here, everything fit straight up besides the lower hose, which you just need to get the older style radiator which goes up at an angle rather than 90 degrees straight out. The CU935 is single row aluminum and plastic which I wasn't super excited about but seems much better than the one I pulled out. Also, had i known I would have installed an additional stop cock valve as the CU935 only has a plug which makes it much harder to capture the coolant since it just runs out and there is no valve to attach a small hose to. I will get an aftermarket one next time I drain the fluid. 

Just added all the info about the CU935 in case someone else is trying to determine whether it will fit into a later model Loyale, which it will, even though Amazon says it does not.

I will drive more and if I need a head gasket still it will happen when the weather is better. I will post back with any changes to this situation in hopes of helping somebody else with similar issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys,

I drove the Loyale a while with no heating issues. Part by part it leaked coolant literally at times in sequence of parts. I tightened each leak and have had zero coolant leaks for a week or so. I decided that today was the day for the stress test. 

Drove it up to Mt Hood with no problems! temp stayed around 1/4 to 1/3 the whole time and today was much warmer than when I had my near overheating. 

I guess it was that old radiator. I tested the system using a non-spill funnel and did not get any bubbles! Still confused about where the bubbles came from before but maybe pockets of air in the radiator?

Any way thanks for all the help. I really enjoy this forum and feel like I am hanging around the old Subie clubhouse.

I will report back with any changes.

Thanks!