Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej swap Question

Naked Buell

Take the speed sensor out of the transmission. Put the brat speedo cable in its place. Pull the cluster out of the dash, there is a plug coming out of the back of the speedo. It has two wires in it, ground the black wire and connect the yellow one to the vss wire off the ecu.

• Like 1

Cool. Thx Bratman just ordered the speedo. So I have the dash cluster out and I have two plugs out of the back of the speedo. One white and blue and another plug, black and yellow with red stripe. So I am going with the black and yellow one like you said. 

So once things are hooked up, with the Brat flash the ECS light in the dash for reading codes?

I'm not sure what the other plug goes to. I have one cluster with that coming out of it too. It's from an 87 ea81 hatch, the 83 carb and 84 turbo clusters I have don't have it. Maybe one of these days I'll pull the hatch cluster apart and find out lol.

I'm going to guess since you have the extra plug that you have an 85-87 brat, which should have a fully functional ecs light socket. You may have to add a bulb holder to the cluster, but the spot will be there. If I remember correctly you'll have to add a wire to pin 1 of one of the round plugs to run the wire from the ecu. If you need a pigtail for this I can send you one, I've got a couple spare harnesses laying around that I wouldn't care to scavenge some more from.

So here is what I did.

IMAG05501.jpg

I mounted the trans. with a jack and looked to see where it needed a support and made one a then welded the support to be bolted in. Don't let it scare you. Just get the trans. up there and lay underneath and look and make yourself a drawing and start fabricating. 

Of course once things are in I plan to go back and put some more support, gussets of steel here and there to make sure she is stiff. 

Edited by Naked Buell