Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, 

I hope that this is the proper part of the forum to ask this question. If not, please point me in the correct area I need to do this.

I was considering ordering one of these OBDII testers. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-SRS-ABS-CHECK-ENGINE-LIGHT-OBD2-CODE-READER-SCAN-/171876308696

Do they really work?  Do they cause any harm to the factory software?

Thanks for any help you can give.

That's hilarious!!! We use those all the time. It's a rebranded and price jacked Launch C-Reader.

https://www.amazon.com/Launch-Tech-301050099-CReader-Diagnostic/dp/B00CP8CV7U/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1488155023&sr=1-9&keywords=launch+creader

They work ok for generic OBD-II.

If you want specific Subaru functionality then you need a Tactrix.

https://www.tactrix.com

GD

Scanners have different functions depending on what you need it for. If you just want one to check codes, the cheap autozone scanner will suffice.

I have one from harbor freight that has live data, readiness, and one car memory but no abs.

So really depends on what you want out of your scanner. I'm personally not a fan of eBay for stuff like this. I don't know how much support there is for upgrades and if there is an issue the return process is a PITA. Just my .02

That's hilarious!!! We use those all the time. It's a rebranded and price jacked Launch C-Reader.

https://www.amazon.com/Launch-Tech-301050099-CReader-Diagnostic/dp/B00CP8CV7U/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1488155023&sr=1-9&keywords=launch+creader

They work ok for generic OBD-II.

If you want specific Subaru functionality then you need a Tactrix.

https://www.tactrix.com

GD

So is there a certain model in tactrix that you like or have used?  I am one of a few people in the world that does not own a laptop.... but if this tool would save me enough money, I may consider it.  Your thought are very appreciated. 

They only have one model - Open Port 2.0. A Tactrix is not OBD-II it's an open source SSM (Subaru Select Monitor). It not only allows all OBD-II functionality but it also does all internal SSM live data and allows reflashing of the internal ECU flash ROM.

You can also use it with an Android app. You just need a $6 USB cable adaptor from amazon.

They work on Mitsubishi as well. Mostly used to tune EVO's.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

They only have one model - Open Port 2.0. A Tactrix is not OBD-II it's an open source SSM (Subaru Select Monitor). It not only allows all OBD-II functionality but it also does all internal SSM live data and allows reflashing of the internal ECU flash ROM.

You can also use it with an Android app. You just need a $6 USB cable adaptor from amazon.

They work on Mitsubishi as well. Mostly used to tune EVO's.

GD

I think I just want a code reader. Heck, I may do damage otherwise LOL

The code reader I own now is a Innova 3150d, and it can't read Subarus codes at all.

If you have an android phone or Bluetooth capable Android tablet I would recommend looking into BTSSM on legacygt.com, I used this app in conjunction with the obdlink mx from scantool.net on my 05 LGT. You'd be in for under $100 for the adapter, which can be used with the company's free obdlink app to scan codes on any obd2 equipped vehicle. BTSSM incorporates all of the romraider real-time datalogging capabilities, active code scanning and ecu reseting, and can also be used as a multi function gauge.

How old is your code reader and how old is your car? I have an innova 3130 that I've used for about 5-6 years and have read codes on Subarus up to 2014 with it.

Innova has very comprehensive compatibility for general OBD2 readers, so you should be able to read codes related to the Check engine light.

What it won't do on Subarus is read ABS, Transmission, Airbag, or some other specialty modules like alarm system, seat/body control, etc.

If your check engine light is on and the scanner shows there are no codes, first verify that by using another scanner. Take the car to an auto parts store and have them scan it for free.

If they can get codes to show up then something is wrong with your scanner.

If not, then there's another problem that's causing the light to stay on possibly with one of the other aforementioned modules that can't be read by a general OBD scanner. For those you either have to have a dealer read codes, or buy the tactrix.

• Like 1

How old is your code reader and how old is your car? I have an innova 3130 that I've used for about 5-6 years and have read codes on Subarus up to 2014 with it.

Innova has very comprehensive compatibility for general OBD2 readers, so you should be able to read codes related to the Check engine light.

What it won't do on Subarus is read ABS, Transmission, Airbag, or some other specialty modules like alarm system, seat/body control, etc.

If your check engine light is on and the scanner shows there are no codes, first verify that by using another scanner. Take the car to an auto parts store and have them scan it for free.

If they can get codes to show up then something is wrong with your scanner.

If not, then there's another problem that's causing the light to stay on possibly with one of the other aforementioned modules that can't be read by a general OBD scanner. For those you either have to have a dealer read codes, or buy the tactrix.

I have only had it for a year or so. I looked on there sit, and it doesn't work... I just got may car a week ago, so I am looking at readers now...

Any input is appreciated...

I think I just want a code reader. Heck, I may do damage otherwise LOL

The code reader I own now is a Innova 3150d, and it can't read Subarus codes at all.

brief search seems to indicate your Innova reader should read most of the Subaru data - maybe not ABS, but engine sensor stuff should be available.

My old 3130 reads my 03 and my 06 cars.

if the car is older than 95, it may not read anything....

Hello, 

I hope that this is the proper part of the forum to ask this question. If not, please point me in the correct area I need to do this.

I was considering ordering one of these OBDII testers. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-SRS-ABS-CHECK-ENGINE-LIGHT-OBD2-CODE-READER-SCAN-/171876308696

I like having one cheap $35 scanner which has read every SUbaru i've thrown at them and additional scanners.  

Get a cheap basic read/erase one for $35 and a phone/computer based one with data logging/freeze frame capabilities.

Keep one at home in the garage and another in the car or your work bag so it's always with you.  Super convenient, I don't have to worry about breaking the cheap one if I'm in a big project, doing test drives, helping a friend, etc.  I also am generally running 3 or 4 Subaru's at a given time and probably looking at someone's car gratuitously every week or two so my needs are probably different. 

If your screen name is providing a clue, you must own an 06 Legacy.  The Innova 3150 scanner will read codes from that vehicle, including many manufacturer only codes.  The manufacturer codes will require that you go to their web site to get an explanation of the codes meaning.

If you are not getting any codes, then either your code reader is defective, your vehicle has a problem like a broken wire to the OBDII connector or you don't know how to use the reader.  I'd be looking for a broken wire between the OBDII connector and the PCM or the CAN buss.

One more possibility, unless your check engine light is on, you ay not have any codes to be read.  You haven't said whether or not you have a CEL or that youare even having any problems with the car.