Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ac compressor clutch replacement?

Hi all,

I've definitely got a bad ac compressor clutch on my 2013 Subaru Impreza. The thing is scraping metal when I turn it and I think I hear something rattling inside. Trouble is...I can seem to find a clutch / pulley replacement assembly, or even a clutch replacement. Certainly, I can find the whole compressor...but I don't want to spend that much money! Any advice? Also, is this a really complicated job? If I just buy the whole assembly, it looks like I just unscrew the old one and pop on the new one. If I have to just buy the clutch replacement, it looks like I'll have push out the old clutch with some bolts, and then push in the new one with another bolt.

Thanks!

Aaron

Edited by abstoler

Call a few local parts stores or google it. Ac clutch. I did a quick google search and a bunch popped up. You could also get a Subaru one.

It's not a complicated job just take your time doing it. You can also look for an ac clutch tutorial video online. They don't really deviate all that much in design.

Doing the clutch will save you a lot of money as opposed to changing the compressor.

Edited by GreaseMonkey03

Thanks again GreaseMonkey03! I'm sure I can do it. Or at least I'm sure that I know when to stop and take it to my mechanic :-) I'm not sure why, but the major auto stores don't sell the clutch. I can find a bunch of parts on eBay, but nothing from the major stores. They just want to sell you the whole compressor.

• 1 month later...

So now I've got a new problem with the AC, probably related to this AC clutch...I really ran the AC for the first time a few days ago after doing a clutch and coil replacement. The low side pressure was a bit low, so I topped it off using an off-the-shelf recharge can. It's engaging and blowing glorious cold air. However, it's also making a fairly loud grinding sound whenever the clutch is engaged. It's audible enough that I hear it from under the hood when I stop the car. It wasn't doing this when I first changed the clutch and coil, and it ran fine for at least a couple of hours. I only noticed it after about ~4 hours of run time.

Like I said...it's running fine. But my intuition tells me that this sounds is indicating some pending trouble. Any clue what it is? It's not a metal grinding sound. More like a card shuffling sound.

It sounds a lot like this: 

, only when the clutch is engaged. As for the fan...where is the fan? I know where the blower, but not sure what you're talking about. In any case, the sounds definitely seems to be coming from the ac compressor assembly.