Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing axle seals, ran into trouble.

Guest Soob4ME

2000 Outback 5 speed, in the process of changing front axles and axle seals. The trouble started when the mark on the driver side axle seal... housing? wiped off and so I turned it in until it felt snug and the stub didn't have much play. This morning I got it put back together and got the passenger side pulled apart this morning but now that housing won't thread in. I can only see a couple threads visible inside the diff, it's as if the bearing race has magically moved on its own. My theory: maybe I tightened the other side too much and when I removed the passenger side housing everything slowly spread pver to that side, blocking the threads?

It's a split inner bearing race design for these model years. It might've come loose, just push from the back of the axle stub to get a few more threads. everything should sandwich back in place once the nut is tightened.

Edited by nvu

Guest Soob4ME

It's a split inner bearing race design for these model years. It might've come loose, just push from the back of the axle stub to get a few more threads. everything should sandwich back in place once the nut is tightened.

I would, but it won't budge.

Eww.. sounds like the hub might've pulled out a bit.  At this point I'd be cobbling together a long bolt and washers to squeeze the hub back in place.  Or just pick up one of those oncar bearing kits.  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=on+car+bearing+kit&*

Could also take the entire knuckle out, put a socket behind the inner race, and tap it back in with a hammer.

Guest Soob4ME

Lift the differential up by the stub and push the bearing race back in. Gravity has pulled the diff down and pushed the bearing cup out a bit.

GD

I tried moving the stub around while pushing on the race, tapping on the race, and prying on the race. It is totally stuck where it is.