Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2004. Subaru Baja 3" lift popping noise

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Hey all needs some help. I have a 2004 turbo Baja that I just lifted 3" kit. After install from like dead stop to hard acceleration it sounds like the axles are skipping cogs. Okay I have replaced both axles with new carquest axles. Still same problem. After reading seems everyone hates aftermarket axles, so thought well I would try OEM axles, and still the same noise. I also replaced the rear s shape bushing on the lower contro arms. With no luck still. Oh forgot to mention all new KYB struts with the lift. The ball joints are fine too. I done the same lift kit on my manual 2003 Baja non turbo with zero issues. Any suggestions would be great.

#2 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:44 AM

I also wanted to mention that I have checked trans mount, and motor mounts. Both are good.

#3 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 4,036 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

You ave a picture of the lift kit parts?

#4 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:01 AM

Car ran prefect before this install?
Are the lifts offset to adjust camber?
Are the lifs oriented correctly - some people install them 120 degrees off.

Most people don't go over 2" without using lowering blocks to offset the cv angles.

Youve done one but Turbo and nonturbo have different spring and maybe struts and being new and a different car maybe it has a higher initial (non-lifted) stance.

#5 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

I do not have pictures at this time, but purchased from ebay. They are lift blocks that attach on top of struts.

#6 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

The car did run perfect before install.

I believe they are as I had to get alignment done.

What kinda throws me off is the popping is on driver side. All four lifts was installed. So why not the passenger side making noise too. I have ordered new lower control arms for the front to see if this helps. I just hate to keep throwing parts at it. I'm also going to replace sway bar end links, and lower ball joint while i'm replacing  control arms. If it still does the popping noise I would think It would have to be the lift itself, or possibly a bad new strut. Again thanks for all your help, and any further comments is very much welcomed.

#7 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Okay today replaced lower control arms, ball joints, and sway bar end links. Here is what's funny. At a dead full throttle take of I heard ZERO popping noise thought wow it's fixed. As I went into a right hand curve and accelerated the popping noise was there. So I thought I will check the tightness on the struts under the hood which is three bolts. Two were tight, as the other is stripped bolt. So in the morning I'm going to re thread that bolt and tighten. Maybe just maybe that is causing the popping. Any thoughts???

#8 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:36 PM

Sure, tighten it and see.
I doubt that's your Issue

3" is right at the limits if it's lift related it's no surprise a repeatability is going to be an issue.

The solution is probably to jnstall drop blocks or Keep trying new axles until you get a perfect one.

But let's hope suspension bits help you out.

#9 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 4,036 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:17 AM

I build and sell lift kits, 2" is the max I would recommend on that model will a all strut lift, with a 3" I would recommend a 1 or 2" sub frame lift

#10 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Hey guy's thanks for all your help. I re threaded lift bolt, and still same issue. So I assume it's the lift causing the problem. So what you all are saying if I change the lift to 2" I should be okay then?? 

#11 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

Hey guy's thanks for all your help. I re threaded lift bolt, and still same issue. So I assume it's the lift causing the problem. So what you all are saying if I change the lift to 2" I should be okay then?? 

You have two options:

1. 2" lift - SJR who just replied sells them and he's who i have bought from and would again. 

2. keep your 3" lift but also drop the subframe 1".  imagine a block between the engine/trans mounts and body that pushes all the drivetrain 1" closer to the ground - lowering your CV angles.

The top lift blocks should be offset and thereby have to be oriented correctly and can only be installed one way - with all 3 strut mount bolts in one position only, you can't rotate - are yours oriented correctly and offset?  that could certainly pull an axle another 1+mm from the trans and stress it more. 

#12 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Scott what is your cost for two inch lift for struts?

#13 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Yes gross they are offset and can only be installed one way. As far as lowering subframe would it be easier to install a 2'' strut block or lowering sub frame?

Thanks Again

#14 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Also another question If I go to a 2" can I still use my 215-65-16 Tires??

#15 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 4,036 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Scott what is your cost for two inch lift for struts?

$425

this kit
http://www.sjrlift.c...-2000-25-detail

#16 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Thanks Scott I will give that some thought

#17 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 4,036 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

Now that's a complete lift, if you just want he parts to complement your 3" I can do that

#18 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

Ok thanks . I'll think it over on what to do. I've sunk way to much $$ in it the past few days as you can see above. Bought total of 5 axles that is not returnable and practily all new front end. Thanks so much for all y'all help. USMB is awesome!!!

#19 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

Help again guy's if you don't mind. Been away for a week, and got back lowered the car to two inch. Still same popping noise on front driver side. I then replaced with another axle same thing. It  can only be one thing I assume is a bad strut. Do you guy's think this is possible?  Thanks

#20 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Or maybe a wheel bearing?

#21 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

that is weird.  i think it's hard to understand exactly what's going on with the limited description.  be nice to know exactly when and when it doesn't make the noise and what is meant by "popping". 

like one or two pops or continuous, never ending as long as the causative conditions are happening? 

i've never heard someone describe a wheel bearing as "popping" and they shouldnt' happen under acceleration only or predominantly so i'd guess strut top if i had to guess which of your two suggestions to look at.

you could swap strut tops from side to side and see if the cause of the noise moves.  

if it happens at low speeds - have someone stand close to the car and see if they can notice the noise being "high" (strut top) or "low" (something else). 

#22 huntingdeer000

huntingdeer000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Lansing, NC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

After all I have done to the car the popping sound has quit under acceleration. Now the same noise which is continuous from dead stop turning right, under light to hard acceleration, once the car is going straight it quits. It sounds just like a bad axle popping when making a hard turn, but I doubt it is seeing I have tried 5 axles now, and surely I haven't got 5 bad ones. It does not make this noise when turning to the left. I'm stumped!! I have got into a parking lot and drove in circle to the right and the sound is continuous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users