Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pan gasket replacement.

At the very least, you have to disconnect the exhaust, motor mounts and lift the engine some, while watching to not over stress a radiator hose, etc.  I've only done it with the engine out for a full reseal, which is where mine always were leaking a lot more.

Yep, just take out the motor nuts from underneath and then jack up the tranny lifting the engine. Just lift it enough so you can get to the back screws with a universal. I use a 1/4 inch racket and extension. Small but effective and you won't be able to over tighten. Then slowly lower back into place and put the nuts back on. 

Also I would purchase some Permatex Anaerobic Sealant. General Disorder told me about this stuff and it is awesome. I bought a tube of it and have done two full engines and still have a half of tube left.

What is nice about it is, it doesn't seal until no oxygen is present. So you don't have to worry about it going bad. 

Totally worth it. I use it on seals and my ea81 pan gasket.  :)

Edited by Naked Buell

Jman 1991 i have a 1992 Loyale and replaced the oil pan gasket by the method suggested above 

At the very least, you have to disconnect the exhaust, motor mounts and lift the engine some, while watching to not over stress a radiator hose, etc.  I've only done it with the engine out for a full reseal, which is where mine always were leaking a lot more.

it went well but i still had an oil leak.  so i thought I messed up the install.  It turns out I had an oil leak from the head seals, it took me a bit to finally see it leaking from there on the right side (DAMN IT! :) ) so I pulled the engine I'm in the middle of resealing the whole motor right now.   :banana: Best to you.

SJ

thanks StephenJ

my engine might very well be leaking oil from the heads as well it kind of looks like it is on the bottom of the motor...

but I'm pretty sure I'm losing much more oil from the pan. I can literally see parts of the cork seal falling off lol

and I would like to pull the motor and do a full reseal but I'm not sure I have enough experience working on these cars for that 

I hope the rebuild goes well for you!

well thank you all for the help. 

I was able to change the seal!

It was a pain, even with slightly raising the engine I was barley able to reach the back row of bolts. and the only tool I could reach them with was a Philips screw driver!