Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Impreza 1.8 no pedal after clutch replacement.

This car has a cable clutch. After replacing the clutch, flywheel, release bearing, and clips there is no pedal and the clutch is not useable. I've tried tightening up the cable but it does nothing. It's like there's too much room between the bearing and the clutch it just doesn't meet. (Clutch is 100% in correct way engine was just pulled to confirm)

There really isn't much to go wrong in there, honestly. Have you confirmed that pushing the clutch pedal is moving the clutch fork? Did you put the throw out bearing clips in properly to hold the throwout bearing to the clutch fork?

It is possible for clutch forks to crack/break in half, that didn't happen, did it?

Edited by 987687
  • Like 1

If the fork is okay, the likely culprit is either the throwout bear clips or the retainer clip on the back of the clutch fork. (Or that it got bumped somehow and popped off the pivot point.

At this point I would disconnect the clutch cable and grab the top of the clutch fork to see if you can feel whats going on. Is it attached to the pivot point or loose and flopping around? Does it seem to side and push as it should or just flex? If it's the fork in some way you'll probably feel something.

Have to adjust that cable way back now that you have the fresh , thicker guts in there. I also freaked out same as you and it was the end of a tiring day etc .... so I thought about it and came back the next day and adjusted that link way the F back and it then acted appropriately.

Now that it's spring I need to fine tune my hill holder or elinate it.

As mentioned - 1/4" or is it 1/8" ?

You'll get it. Take your time.

Edited by moosens

The cable doesn't really stretch, and if it did, that's the point of the adjustment.

You didn't remove the pivot ball and put it in the wrong hole on the transmission, did you?

Are you sure you're adjusting the clutch correctly. When the pedal is up (pull it back up if it sticks down) there should be between 1/8" and 1/4" play at the clutch fork.

I've had a somewhat similar issue with new clutches in the past. Try adding some washers under the adjusting nut to pull the fork back further.

Another thing to check is make sure the cable sheath is set properly into the bracket on top of the trans. If you have some thick o-rings you can add an o-ring around the rubber mount on the sheath to help pull the sheath back a little further away from the fork.