Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 2 automatic trans question

1st question - driving around day to day are essentially the same. 2wd vehicle will get slightly better fuel economy. 4wd will have the option to shift into 4wd for snow/trails etc.

2nd. Other than higher RPMs than most at cruising speed, not that I'm aware of, but more knowledgable folks may be aware of some.

3rd. Yes but.... we're talking about 30 year old vehicles here. So same applies as anything in this category. 30+ years and all that time, mileage and opportunity for neglect, abuse, long sits and such mean lots of variables. The design was fine and many have gone for very high miles. But they are old and becoming obsolete. Do your research on what to look for. Even better is if there's someone in your neck of the woods that knows these specific cars very well and can take a look and give an impartial opinion.

I love the platform and if it weren't for road salt in my area, would still drive one.

Hi I'm looking for a gen 2 4x4 vehicle for a first time driver so it must be an auto trans.

Are 2wd and 4wd transmissions the same?

Any peculiar quirks with an auto behind a 4x4?

Are they reliable?

Any other comments are helpful.

Thank you,

Mike

I think you have some slight misconceptions about the drivetrain layout. 

The transmissions are not the same - because it isn't a "transmission" but rather a "transaxle" that incorporates the transmission, front and center differentials, and transfer case in one unit. Some parts may swap from a 2WD automatic but those are also rare. Nothing at all will swap from a manual trans. 

The reliability question - that depends greatly on condition and servicing - but most likely not. The 3 speed auto wasn't the greatest transmission which is why few are left that still work. Honestly any auto from that vintage is about a 150k piece of machinery at best. I just replaced the original auto in my '86 Trans Am at 154k miles. Just reached the end of it's life and started slipping followed very shortly by terrible noises from the pump and made some pretty serious chewing noises and barely made it to my shop to get swapped. All that in the course of about 20 miles. They will fail without warning, catastrophically, and sometimes spectacularly. I've seen more than one 4WD 3AT eat itself with little warning. I haven't seen a working one in about 10 years around here. 

I would not recommend anything that old for a first time driver. I would say get into the early 2000's and get a nice little impreza or legacy. The fuel economy will be better and it will have airbags. First time drivers almost inevitably wreck a car or two. Give them something that's safe.

GD 

Edited by GeneralDisorder

The 3at in my turbo hardtop works perfectly, when it wants to. Ran great other than atrocious fuel mileage when I bought the car. But when I parked it for about 2 weeks to 5 lug swap the car it hasn't wanted to shift on its own since unless the temperature has been about 75 degrees. It would honestly have already died if I hadn't parked the car again for winter. It's not a transmission I would want to live with in a daily driver. I guess the 4eat has spoiled me in that respect.

Great advice GD. This one would be for learning to drive on the the beach.

I have a 90 Mercury wagon, but I am not sure if it would also be compatible with a teenager. It's a little bit fast. It has some goodies in it.

Not grandmas car anymore.

We're in no big rush to jump in, shes 15 and practicing in parking lots in a mini van.

THANK YOU ALL

I know everyone hates the 3at but I have had good luck with them. If you keep the fluid changed at recommended intervals and adjust the 2-3 band correctly AND drive like it is a 30 year old auto trans then it can be good to you.

I have mine in an '84 Brat and love it. It originally had an EA81, then a SPFI EA82 and for the last 3 years an EJ22. I've had mine for 19 years and it is my favorite ride after my motorcycle.

Edited by silverhelme

I have had good luck with the 3AT also. I dont know why. I don't drive them easy. It's been a while, but I've towed 1000lbs on a trailer with them. I use synthetic ATF. I shift them manually, and let off the gas at shift time a bit, to avoid shifting with heavy accelleration, because they tend to upshift just before the engine really starts to make power. Not that you can really get that in an ea82 / 3AT driveline.....

One thing that is true of all automatics - the higher the speed you shift them at (within their capacity to not slip), the greater the pump pressure and the faster they lock into gear. Faster shifting means less slippage and less wear and typically less heat. Couple that with a good synthetic and you have a combination for potentially longer life. If they can handle the power. Fast, positive shifts are what you want in an automatic for best clutch pack life. Ask anyone with a built V8/automatic that drag races. The 700R4 I just put in my Trans Am has billet Sonnax servos and shifts hard enough to throw the back end loose on the 1-2 shift. 

GD