Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

300,000 miles and counting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

I'm really enjoying old George.  One thing I've learned is that George REALLY prefers hi test gas.  He has expensive taste, lol. 

I really wish there was some way to make a VW diesel work in one of these.  My husband really likes George too, and he half wants one of his own, but his commute is so long that gassing up every couple days would break the bank.

On another note, how often do the coils fail on the EJ22?  I have an occasional misfire/stutter that occurs usually when the engine is cold, and always when it's raining.  I've replaced the plugs and plug wires, so I'm thinking that the culprit may be cylinder 4 coil (or am I completely wrong?)

#27 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 2,028 posts
  • Grand Valley, PA

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

They are not a very common fail point, but at 300,000 miles plus could certainly be. Especially if you're sure about your plug wires.

the correlation to rain sure sounds like an electrical issue.

#28 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

Yep, brand new wires and plugs (used the recommended brands there, too, might as well they're cheap enough, lol). Guess I'll be checking with the dealership for the coil.  Can't hurt to replace it.

I'm continually amazed by the dealership support for the older models.  I seriously went through hell and back looking for parts for my Audi.  When I needed to replace the control arms, I was told by all the dealerships (and quite a few vendors) that the parts were NLA, but there was one control arm, located in Germany, that could be shipped in for me...at a cost of $500.00!!  I did eventually find them (Blauparts, if there's anyone on this forum with old VW/Audis).  Subaru is such a contrast! I've found every part I've needed for my 20 year old car with no problem.  This forum has been a wealth of info, also, so thanks! :)

#29 golucky66

golucky66

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Barkhamsted Connecticut

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

I have a customer whos 09 Outback has 255k on it. Runs great, consumes some oil, but what newer engine doesn't.
I replaced the HGs on it at 230k.

Customer loves his car and hates the newer outbacks. He's hopping to get 400+k out of the car

#30 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

George probably burns a little oil, but the amount must be minuscule, because the level on the dipstick never really changes.

I'll admit, I don't much care for the newer models either.  Late 90's to early 00's, but any newer than that, they just look like any other SUV on the road.

#31 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Replaced the coil pack...and George approves!  The misfire seems to be gone.  I'll be saving the old one as a spare, because it did work, just not great.  But better than nothing if I need one.

Next problem...AC.  I had it checked out, and seems to not have any leaks (good), but doesn't turn on.  My friend told me the first thing to check is the climate control module, then the relay.  If neither one of those is the problem, I'm looking at having to spend some money.

#32 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

FYI, some aftermarket headlights SUCK!!  I bought a set, and off the car they look great, but the fit is spoob.  Guess I'll just have to clean the old ones up a bit.

Part of the fitment issue might be the fact that ole George has some minor front end damage (crinkled hood)...and that most of the tabs that attach the light to the car are broken off.  They were secured with zip ties.  Pretty special.

#33 Soob4ME

Soob4ME

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

The problem with the 4EAT transmission is that it doesn't lock the torque converter under coasting conditions to save gas. You're only hope for good fuel economy is to keep your speed up enough in the highest gear to keep the torque converter locked and when accelerating, use momentum and use the gas like an old man. I get 33mpg out of a 96 Camry with 392,000 miles on it doing 90mph on the interstate for nearly an hour and rarely do I have to use the brakes.

#34 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Fuel mileage on the old guy is about 27mpg, George has a 5mt, and easily cruises at highway speeds.  I'm not complaining, lol.  My husband was driving a VW Golf TDI, and was routinely getting around 50 mpg, so while 30 mpg isn't bad, it's not quite as good.  Still, much better than what he gets with the truck (about 16 mpg).  He really like the torque of a diesel...and that IS a lot of fun. 

#35 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

George is currently sitting at 348K miles, and so far, everything is going well.

Next up on the Fix it list will be new wheel bearing (got some noise going on there), rebooting the CVs (got some grease going on there)and that should be about it.

I'm going to start the hunt for a spare set of wheels, so I can have some snow tires mounted up and ready for winter.

The fitment issues I had with the aftermarket lights was definitely due to the body damage.  We used pliers, a crow bar and a small hammer to beat the crinkled area back to an approximation of it's original place, and replaced the old lights with the ones from Killer the Legacy (after using a headlight restoration kit).  They fit much better, and work a million times better, so at least now night time driving won't be quite as much of an adventure as it has been, lol.

The hunt continues for a second Outback for the hubby (he really likes George).

#36 =CC=

=CC=

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Baltimore MD

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

George goes to get the timing belt done this week (about time right?)

My husband found himself a 96 OB for $500.00.  Only problem is that it's an automatic (yuck), and has a 2.5 with a blown head gasket (big surprise).  He's thinking about picking it up, and spending some $ having the HG replaced in the 97 Legacy, then switching engine/trans/diff into this 96.  Should just be a direct swap, yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users