Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 2001 Forester.

I have just bought myself a 01 forester a few days ago and between taking it to the mechanics for rego and doing oil change etc, I have started to uncover a growing list of things that need repairing. Front CV boot's have gone, I think the valve cover gaskets r leaking,as they are covered in oil. Today I noticed a loud tapping noise from engine, I think that means the tappets have nearly had it,am I correct there? Also today I found what looks like a leak coming from just above the thermostat, Does anyone know what that would be? Also wondering if it was normal that every time I do something like a oil change, or clean air filter and intake, the car runs like crap at first then the next time I take it for a drive it runs good again??? I am willing to spend a bit of time and money on it, but I don't want to be fixing one thing after another and end up rebuilding the whole car. It has 174,000 km on the clock. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Starting to feel like I have bought a money pit and I don't have the money to rebuild everything on the car.

Sounds pretty normal for that year. Unless the CVs are clicking, just re grease and re boot them.

Valve cover gaskets are common. get the kit with grommets for the spark plgs. Easy fix.

Oil leaking above the thermostat may be coming from the back of the timing cover - usually a cam seal or by the crank. If the timing belt is unknown it's best to do these all at once. Good preventative maintenance.

How loud is the tapping? Often they are a little noisy on start up when cold or after sitting a while.

All sounds about right/very normal for a 16 year old Subaru.

Thanks, it wasn't oil leaking above the thermostat, I am pretty sure it is coolant. I have noticed it is not the thermostat, would it be water pump?? I can't afford to pull engine ATM, do u think the tappets might be fine for now??

Is there a way to tell if HG has been done?? Or is the only way to tell if I have service history?

Without service records, the best way is a visual inspection of the gaskets at the top so see if they are shiny and new (or newer) than the surrounding block and head surfaces. Good news with this motor is that when they fail they generally leak externally and lose coolant. If you continually check your fluids you will catch it before it gets bad. When it starts consuming coolant you can keep it going sometimes months to years by just adding coolant until you can do a proper head gasket job (As mentioned above - proper gaskets and head resurfacing being essential on these motors to prevent repeat failure)

Yes - coolant leaking above the thermostat would be either the water pump or the rubber hose connection to it.

We call tappets valves here in the states. Searching for valve adjustment on your particular motor should get some more info. Does it quiet down as the engine warms up? or is it constant? A video recording the sound often helps.

I find all subaru motors to become tappy at startup as they get older. If its very loud or constant then an adjustment or replacement may be necessary. Products such as marvel mystery oil and others have been helpful in quieting some of the older motors for me in the past.

Hi, Regarding your concern on head gaskets, in many instances they typically fail and cause the level of coolant to rise and the engine starts to overheat. Many times you can see bubbles in the overflow tank. You are at the right blog site for lots of experts on this HG subject.   Does not sound like you are describing that condition. They can actually be changed without pulling the engine but it is challenging.  It is almost easier to pull the engine in the long run if this occurs.  No it is not normal to have the motor run poorly after doing an oil change or cleaning the air filter.  Could by symptomatic of something else or you are just getting used to the sounds..If you do not do your own work, try to find a local club as a 16 year old Subaru with 175 K will begin needing things.  These cars are very easy to work on and a real joy if you know what you are doing. Do change out those VC gaskets and clean up all of that oil, and you will then see more clearly what is going on.  If the VC are in need of changing, no doubt the HG are original. You are way overdue for the VC replacement.  174 K / 116 K miles is young for that EJ25 engine though.  

Hi, Regarding your concern on head gaskets, in many instances they typically fail and cause the level of coolant to rise and the engine starts to overheat. Many times you can see bubbles in the overflow tank. You are at the right blog site for lots of experts on this HG subject.   Does not sound like you are describing that condition. They can actually be changed without pulling the engine but it is challenging.  It is almost easier to pull the engine in the long run if this occurs.  No it is not normal to have the motor run poorly after doing an oil change or cleaning the air filter.  Could by symptomatic of something else or you are just getting used to the sounds..If you do not do your own work, try to find a local club as a 16 year old Subaru with 175 K will begin needing things.  These cars are very easy to work on and a real joy if you know what you are doing. Do change out those VC gaskets and clean up all of that oil, and you will then see more clearly what is going on.  If the VC are in need of changing, no doubt the HG are original. You are way overdue for the VC replacement.  174 K / 116 K miles is young for that EJ25 engine though.  

That description is correct of head gasket failure of phase 1 motors (1990-98/99. Phase 2 motors (99+) generally fail externally and will not exhibit the symptoms described - they'll run themselves out of coolant long before a bubble makes it into the tank.