Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cold intake air charge....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:26 PM

what happens if my air intake charge is NEGATIVE 335 deg F. on my EA82T?????

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:34 PM

Ice will form.. quickly

Cold air good.. Ice bad.

#3 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:44 PM

hmm, ice would form, the oxygen would be too cold and not have the kinetic energy required to react...

#4 Warp3

Warp3

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • WNC

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:49 PM

what happens if my air intake charge is NEGATIVE 335 deg F. on my EA82T?????

Why does everyone of your posts make me question your sanity!? LOL ;)

#5 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:01 PM

Why does everyone of your posts make me question your sanity!? LOL ;)

Because I am insane.

Edit: Seriously tho...i was thinking about using an air to water IC....but instead of water...and a pump and rad....i was going to use liquid Nitrogen...and a special pump that uses electromagnetic feilds to absorb energy from the intake air charge...it uses that energy to power its self and circulate the Liq. Nitr....it doesnt need a rad...cuz the pump assy absorbs the heat energy. The more heat, the more effient it is. Something along those lines....

#6 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:17 PM

they just came out with intakes that have an area to put dry ice in.

http://www.01designs...m/products.html

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:19 PM

interesting..........

#8 Warp3

Warp3

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • WNC

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:42 PM

http://www.01designs...m/products.html

I thought that URL looked familiar...these are the same folks that sell those "carbon fiber" rims...LOL (of course, for obvious structural reasons they are alloys that are covered with CF, not wheels that are actually made of CF).

That said the theory kinda makes sense. This is really no different than turbo car owners that ice their intercoolers at the drag strip.

BUT...then again, every time the discussion comes up about "is metal tubing in an intake really wise since it would soak up heat", the defense is that the air is moving fast enough that it isn't notably affected by the intake tubing temp. Wouldn't the same thing apply here, especially considering how little time the air would spend in the very small, low restriction "dry ice containment unit" (their term, not mine...lol)?

I would think that a similar concept but using an artificially chilled intercooler would have a more noticeable effect (i.e. an intercooler surrounded with dry ice) since ICs have much better heat transfer properties than a simple metal tube (partly due to the fact that the air spends more time passing through the IC than it would a similarly sized piece of tubing).

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:44 PM

Gasoline freezes at about -80F, so your engine would cease to run. Not to mention the difficulties with haveing something *that* cold enter a combustion chamber - the aluminium and the steel expand and contract at different rates, and something below -300F would certainly cause ireperable damage in short order. Bad times.

GD

#10 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:53 PM

Why not instead of using NO2, use an O2 canister of compressed Oxygen gas, and put it into the airstream before the maf sensor. Then use CO2 to cool the intercooler. That should give it a boost... right?

#11 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:37 PM

OK, so I will jsut shoot for -50 F.....LOL

What to use as a coolant............??

#12 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:49 AM

what about the throttle boby mod where you bypass the coolant liine that run through it. that should take off quite a bit of heat from the air going into the manifold. has anyone here tried this, or is this just on the newer subies? hmmm, maybe i should get off my lazy *** and go look at my rx. but has anyone tried this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users