Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

home made traction controle?

locker limeted slip traction aid subaru loyale

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 christianoffroad

christianoffroad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • sacramento ca

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

ive been looking for a traction adding device for my 90 loyale, with lockers non existant, and linited slips expensive and complocated, i want to use the breaks as a traction adding device. I want to add line lock solenoids to each rear break line. if I lift a wheel and loos traction, I can energies the solenoid on the wheel in the air and transfer power to the wheel on the ground. has anybody ever tried  this before? do you think the carrier and axels can handle the stress?

#2 Rallyru

Rallyru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • St. Helens, OR

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

I thought about something similar but decided not to go through with it. A linelocker doesn't apply pressure it just hold it so every time you have one wheel in the air you would have to step on the brakes losing valuable momentum. You would be better off welding the rear diff and going to an independent parking brake system for the front so you could individual lock the left or right.

#3 christianoffroad

christianoffroad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • sacramento ca

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

i want to make my subie a long distance driver so i dont want to weld the rear diff. this is more of a worst case sonarieo system, only used if all fails.  I've also thought about adding a extra parking break handel for independent front breaks. i might experamint with modified ABS pumps to apply breaks at the push of a button.

#4 ferp420

ferp420

im not a typer

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

Swap to rear disk and run honda calipers and use the mechanical ebrake on the calipers for your cutting break pulling the front ebreak just alittle dose help alot with front traction ive used it a few times to get out of some realy sticky situations back when i was running open diffs

#5 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,860 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:56 PM

i want to make my subie a long distance driver so i dont want to weld the rear diff. this is more of a worst case sonarieo system, only used if all fails.  I've also thought about adding a extra parking break handel for independent front breaks. i might experamint with modified ABS pumps to apply breaks at the push of a button.

KISS.Keep It Simple Stupid.A welded rear diff is a far more simple solution to you traction issues.Just run the rear tires over inflated on the street so they dont have too much grip to break things on the street,

Or you can pull a rear cv axle on the pavement and put it back in when you think you might need full traction.

Besides its the spider gears in the diff that blow up from abuse,Welding them up solves that problem.

#6 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,405 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

I understand but at the same time Saying something is complicated then considering line lock solenoids and ABS pumps is pretty funny.

How about finding a good VLSD rear diff...or two?

Or ask about axle removal and how yuh can make that easy for such limited uses. is this on a lifted subaru?

#7 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

I installed two park breaks.

One goes to each front wheel.

Whichever one is in the air...gets the brake.

The welded diff is the real ticket.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,408 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

I installed two park breaks.

One goes to each front wheel.

Whichever one is in the air...gets the brake.

The welded diff is the real ticket.

Bingo....my setup too.

I pull one rear axle for road use.  

For this persons case, I would recommend a VLSD (91-94 turbo legacy is 3.9 and bolts in and uses same stub type axles)

then do dual front E-brakes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: locker, limeted slip, traction aid, subaru loyale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users