Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone I am considering the purchase of a 93 FWD Impreza hatchback. It looks pretty solid and in decent shape but it has a wierd problem.

The car was damaged in a hit and run a while back and the owner had to get a door from a salvage yard. He got everything hook up, but ever since the installation of the replacement door, none of the windows have been working. Unfortunately he doesn't have the original door anymore so no parts can be salvaged from that.

I like the car and I'd like to see if we can work out a deal, but obviously the car will not pass inspection if the windows won't work. Is there a flowchart of things I could check to try to pin point the cause of this problem? I'm wondering if the door was from the same body style but a different year the wiring harness was not compatible. I've seen photos from every angle of the door and it appears to be fitting correctly in the jamb. In addition to the window issue, the door lock mechanism was not swapped out from the old door, so he is not able to unlock or lock the car from the drivers side. I'd also like to know how hard it would be to get a replacement lock cylinder made to match the current ignition key that goes with the car.

Other than that, the car looks pretty solid and the price is right. I've never owned a Subaru before but I've always appreciated them. What are some other first time buyer items that I should be aware of going with a 93 FWD Impreza ? Any particular motors to stay away from or things to watch out for? I've bought and repaired many used cars, I know the general things like checking for oil leaks, exhaust leaks, looking at the under carriage and suspension, but I have 0 experience specifically to Subarus.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I think they junked the old door and mounted the new one without swapping anything over.

I asked if there was a vin sticker on the new door but he doesn't think there is one. So I don't even know for sure what year the door is from. It's clearly a Subaru door but something isn't right with either the wire harness plug compatibility or maybe fuses are blown? It's a wierd problem.

I'm wondering if there is a way I could purchase a driver switch from a junk yard and bring it to test it. I can't get into a car with 4 non functioning windows as there is no way it will pass inspection. If this is something simple I'm not too scared away but if there is something like only 1 switch will work and no other year's switch will, I'm probably more inclined to walk away, which is a shame

If the door fits it's pretty good chance the wiring would be the same.

The connector for the window/door lock harness comes into the car behind the kick panel by your left foot. Remove the panel and the connectors are in there.

The key cylinder is easy to have fixed. Find a locksmith in your area. lol it out of the door and take it to them. I paid $35 to have one done not too long ago.

The other switches don't work now that this door has been installed. Which leads me to believe that either there is no power to the drivers switch due to blow fuses or a broken wire, OR there is something faulty in the switch itself that is breaking the connectivity throughout the system. Maybe the window "lock" switch in the drivers panel is somehow broken internally causing a shut off. Question: if the lock switch was flipped and there was indeed power to the drivers window, wouldn't that at least roll down? We aren't getting any of the windows to roll down which seems to suggest no power to the switch.