Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 stud conversion on brumby/brat retaining front hand brake

not sure why you'd want a picture - it's just a caliper on a bracket.  but i took one anyway, just couldn't load it last night. 

top of picture is XT6 caliper on EJ bracket.

on the bottom is the XT6 bracket on the right with the larger diameter pin and the EJ bracket on the left with the smaller diameter pin. 

Edited by idosubaru

The turbo legacy brackets I tried out were not a match. The caliper would physically mount to the bracket but there was no way it would slide far enough fit the pads. I picked up a pair of brackets from a 92 legacy with single piston fronts today. They have the same slide pin type and distance between the holes but use a larger rotor than the fwd impreza. I'll report back on them when I'm home again this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Just for an update. I'm now running 93 fwd impreza 242mm rotors and matching caliper brackets with xt6 calipers and pads on my 5 lug swapped hardtop. The cable is a tight fit around the bottom of the strut but it works well after adjusting the lever.

• Like 1

Great!  Just to clarify you're running:

EJ knuckle

FWD impreza rotor and caliper bracket 

XT6 caliper and caliper slide pin

Do you know if older style EJ axles will work in 2005+ knuckles?  

I'm wondering when I swap if I could use 2005+ knuckles with bolt in bearings and older 00-04 axles. 

That's correct Gary. One modification I had to do was remove the abs tone ring, my knuckles were from an abs equipped impreza. The small rotor hat wouldn't clear the tone ring.

The end of the axle is different on the 05+ legacys, you'd need to swap the outer cv to be able to do that knuckle swap. I've looked into it before on one of my 2nd gens. Ruined a couple bearings before I figured out what the problem was.

You'd be better off swapping the outer joint. The 05+ legacy is a couple inches wider than the 04 back cars. I think by this point that in production all the axle shafts had gone to the 30 spline style instead of the older 22 spline. So swapping them shouldn't be an issue. Febest is the company I got my cv parts from for my 5 lug swap, seem to be high quality parts, would just recommend using oem boots over the ones they ship with.

Hello all,

After reading through this as far as I understand you guys used GC8 Knuckles but XT6 calipers ETC.  I have an 83 GL Wagon(4x4)  and I have a 99 Impreza outback sport(AWD) the impreza has rear drums I was wondering if I can just use the complete set up from the 99 on my 83 because the 99 I'm parting out so luckily I have it just sitting right there with the parts ready to be swapped...

TIA

• Like 1