Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Vehicle in Baltimore Inspected

Does anyone live in or around the Baltimore area?  There is a subie out there that I am very interested in buying, but I live 2,754 miles away.

I'd be happy to pay you for your time.  If you're able to act as my proxy and store it for a short time as well, I would compensate you accordingly.

Tell your friends!

i have space and have power of attorney-ed for people before but i have no time. three little kids and work is about all i can manage ATM, but if you get it here and make it easy for me i could possibly keep it for you. but baltimore is 4.5 hours away, feel free to PM or email me the location, if it's close to Westminster MD i could possibly look at it, but when I travel there i'm really busy and can't make any trips more than 30 minutes away.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

I guess some unpaid time off is in my future then.  Your offer of assistance (or lack thereof) will be noted for future reference... :D

Hoarders never sell anything, so it's not likely you would help me anyway (this is all in fun :D

I'm 5 hours from Baltimore myself, on the wrong side of DC, so it wouldn't be cost effective for me to do it. You could likely have it shipped half way to you for what I would need in diesel fuel to go get it. 

He might think you're from Nigeria when you started talking about "my agent, acting on my behalf, will come for the car. You can pay him the overage from my cashier's check......"  :ph34r:  :lol:  :P

Good luck in any case. 

Dan

• Like 1

I had to ship my 4runner from California to Pennsylvania last october. I used this compant http://www.foxautotransport.com/

Was rather pleased. They hit the nail on the head for the estimate. Got here in a timely fashion.

And yeah, with all the scams on craigslist, make sure to find a way to talk to the guy and get him verified funds or cash so it doesn't resemble a scam.

Gosh I miss being able to take people at their word.

It's not looking good for me, but I'm keeping faith!

Grossgary, do you know anyone local who could pick it up and deliver it to you? Or have any suggestions?

No, I'll let you know if I can think of someone. How long would it be stored? I'm just asking in case i can think of someone in maryland, i don't care at my place.

Edited by grossgary

AdventureSubaru, what did it cost to ship your Toyota?

Grossgary, Depending on how things go with the seller, I will be on the East coast later this month and could alter my plans while out there.  Otherwise it would depend on how quickly I could arrange shipping, or find an engine to swap in and drive it home.

900 even from san francisco area to western, Pennsylvania. You can keep costs lower if the pickup and drop off locations are near popular travel routes as the truckers are looking to string together a series of cars to pick up and drop off. Makes more $$$ for them and keeps your costs lower.  I met the driver at an exit on I80 and drove it home from there. He was able to unload and get right back on the hwy to NYC area. If they have to go far away off the highway, all that time and gas is for you only and the bill reflects that.

200 goes to the transport company and they estimate ahead of time what the trucking cost will be. They then put it out for bid among the truckers.

Didn't find any reliable way to cut out the middle man. But they did a good job and made it easy so no complaints.

• Like 1

It was like $750 to ship mine from CA to here.  DAS.  Price would fluctuate by $75 on any given day when I've had cars shipped before too. 

For that it wasn't even worth the gas money and time to go get it. But mine was running. 

That's if the car is drivable and taken to a shipping center and picked up from one as well.  Add more cost for non-running vehicle.