Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2004 Forrester wagon 2.5 motor. Car is an auction car I bought and it was obviously a timing belt issue so rather than try to repair this I opted to get another motor.  I bought a JDM motor from a local importer where ive gotten many good motors for other cars before

I finally got the motor all installed. As per JDM guy I swapped the cam pulley and the crank pulley, injectors fuel  rails  plugs( new) old ignition wires and coil  and used only the long block so the original motor from my car provided the intake, harness  throttle body and EGR tube  I also swapped the flex plate

Car starts and runs but appears to have a miss in only the #1 cylinder. I had a set of injectors from a 99 motor and swapped one injector and still no change   miss seems to go away at higher RPMS  also getting a code for an evap leak and TPS .. swapped the TPS with another I had same thing... any input before I tare off the front of the motor again to make sure I have timing correct but im positive I  have both cams and the crank at 12 o clock..

I will recheck that

I saw you mentioned in another post that the JDM motor has a lack of power? the guy at the warehouse said the difference was in the intake and the long block makes it effectively the same motor I had once I install all the intake and other DSM items

I've driven a couple outbacks with the JDM 2.0 in it. Just fine as a commuter. They make decent power. You will notice a difference on steep hills or if you have 4 or 5 people or similar weight to the car. It's not terrible, but it's there. Probably better in the foresters as they are a bit lighter than the outbacks.

That Ej20 SOHC was the stock motor for most non-U.S. market foresters. I think it makes about 140HP which makes just a little more than the Ej22s of the 90s.

thank you GD and Adventure Subaru for your responses...  Im glad it wont be too drastic  the car is being rebuilt as a first car for a newly licensed teenager so we certainly don't want him in a hot rod but we don't want  the old lady  on a Jazzy passing him either   Tomorrow we are going to pull it apart and put in new gaskets on the intake and recheck timing and hopefully that is the issue  I will keep you all informed   and un the next victim is a 2003 WRX turbo that we have a JDM swap for  but that's another thread and another post

So I figured id post an update so anyone searching later can find what happened.. pulled off front of motor  and timing was dead on   rechecked all vacuum and rechecked the  intake gaskets  all good  bought a noid tester and checked the pulse to the injector and all was ok   compression check 150 2, 3, 4  cyl 1 0   so out comes the motor  and we are installing a second one from JDM