Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2005 WRX 4EAT Problem shifting from 3rd to 4th under full throttle

4eat automatic transmission wrx 2005 impreza saab 9-2x 3rd gear 4th gear

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1986Brat

1986Brat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Chesapeake, VA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

I have a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (WRX) 141,000 miles, completely stock, with the 4EAT automatic.   Under full throttle, at about 70 mph, it will shift from 3rd to neutral (and redline) rather than shift to 4th.  I must let off the throttle and give it a few seconds to find 4th gear when this happens.  Under normal acceleration, it has no problem going from 3rd to 4th gear. 

I have just replaced the transmission fluid and filter (using genuine Subaru stuff) and still the problem persists.

I have never driven anything with an automatic transmission before and really don't know where to start with this, it is also difficult for me to find anything on the web about this exact problem, so any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 21,717 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

Just get a used trans. They are cheap. It's slipping and that means an overhaul which is not economically viable nor a good idea in my experience as few trans shops know what they are doing inside a Subaru auto.

GD

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,851 posts
  • Texas

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

GD - that trans model isn't 'special' or 'rare' is it.

any flashing lights at start-up? maybe there's a TCU code stored.

any dents in the trans pan?

still, at that mileage - you might find a used trans as GD said, maybe with a lot less miles. LKQ or www.car-part.com ?

#4 1986Brat

1986Brat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Chesapeake, VA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

That's not what I wanted to hear... now I have two subarus that need transmissions.  Nothing else I could try?

#5 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,851 posts
  • Texas

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

3 drain and fills are required to get about 85% fresh fluid because of how much is left in the torque converter. Unless you changed your fluid in a manner that got all of it out.

some folks have had good results with a bottle of Trans-X for things like delayed engagement - but it won't fix a broken a transmission.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 21,717 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

Yes it *is* a special transmission. The WRX auto is different than all the others. It has a special tailshaft section with a more advanced transfer system.

You throw away fluid if you want on doing drain and fills but that type of behavior is unlikely to be solved by it. You can't put back worn out clutch material without opening it up. There's no adjustments that can be made externally so that means opening it up and if you do that you might as well overhaul it.

GD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4eat, automatic, transmission, wrx, 2005, impreza, saab, 9-2x, 3rd gear, 4th gear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users