Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dysfunctional clutch

Ive been searching around the forum for any info but i cant find anything so here i go..

Engaging the clutch pedal is like stepping on a piece of cloth on my 92 pickup. it releases instantly when lifting the pedal from the floor. if i release very very slowly i can feel wobbling, and some times this is accompanied by a screeching sound.

Do i need a new clutch cylinder? a new clutch? a new gear box (are the 4speed box interchangeable with any 5speed box ea81/ea82 by the way?)? Or can I adjust something an be happy?

Havent had a car where the clutch has been like this before, only had a clutch slip when it became weary once...

Thanks for any advice

First on the top of the tranny, you will see the cable and is if you have any adjustment to adjust. If you do, start there. If not, you may need a new clutch and the screeching sound may be your throwout bearing. 

Whenever you have you foot on the clutch pedal holding it in, that throwout bearing is spinning on the shaft. I try to keep my foot off the pedal as much as possible. Popping into neutral while sitting at a light or what not. They last a lot longer.

But check that out first. How many miles on the clutch you may ask yourself.