Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I pulled my E-A71 to reseal it. Put the engine back in and it starts right up. I take it for a test drive it will only go half throttle then starts to bog down so I let off and stay below that point and it coughs then shuts off and will not start again. 

I have replaced the spark plugs/wires and coil but it still has no spark i have tested the distributor and pickup. I have tested all the wires in between and everything seems to be as it should but im at a loss as to why it just stopped and everything else seems to be working properly.

Well, everything can't be "as it should", because you have no spark.  It started up once, so it was working.  The bogging down could be a separate problem.  That sounds to me more like a fuel problem than an electrical problem. Electrical problems are usually sudden death.

For the crank no start problem, the likely point to look at is the distributor.  

So I have my test light out everything is wired up the way the book says for my 1980 1.6l EA71 auto choke 4spd M/T 
+ side of coil to bat - with test light gets proper 12v with IGN on

- side of coil to bat - with test light also gets 12v with IGN on   I know that this should only get 12v when the dist fires not constantly

Both sides of the coil will show 12v with ignition on assuming that coil is good. The distributor fires the coil by breaking the ground connection to the negative side of the coil causing the magnetic field in the primary winding to collapse - inducing a current in the secondary winding - firing the plug (assuming the rotor is pointing to the right wire tower)

GD

I have tested the wires from the dist to the transistor ignition unit that bolts onto the coil they are good and have no breaks

I tested that the dist is outputting a signal when it goes around

I have a new coil (do not buy Direct Import brand or whatever it is that O'Reilly's has the coil points stripped out taking the nuts off out of the box)

I have the power wire that comes from IGN giving the 12v and everything is wired how the book says but I still have no spark I am thinking that it is the transistor unit but other forums that people have said they think its their unit everybody hops in and says no they don't die there is something else wrong

Edited by Divisible_By_0

All you have to do to verify the coil is to manually interrupt the ground for the coil negative - disconnect the distributor and leave the ignition 12v connected to the coil. Touch a ground wire to the coil negative and each time you remove the ground connection the wire from the coil to the cap should spark against the frame, engine block, etc.

Unless you truly are divisible by zero, in which case, whatever dimension you are posting from has different properties of physics.... I've been to a few dimensions but I don't recall one where division by zero was possible. Here in ours we do have some whackjob that came up with a way to square root negative one. Apparently really useful for air traffic control.

GD

Seems that if you have a good coil and good wires then you are still left with a problem at the distributor itself.  If power is going into the distributor and nothing is coming out then there it is.

I know distributors can have cracked caps which can cause problems and others have reported some type of screw that comes loose in certain models of distributors.  Perhaps one of these two problems is the cause of your problem.