Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC clutch kicks on intermittently 1991 Loyale

Hey guys. 

Been paying close attention to my motor since I have been monitoring another issue. When the motor is idling the clutch kicks on intermittently and the motor idle kicks up. I disconnected the two harnesses on the top of the compressor for now. Don't think that the compressor was coming on and off like that before so not sure what to think.

A little history. I bought the car in August 2016 and have dealt with many higher prioritized issues. The AC was disconnected at the evaporator which I noticed when changing the resistor coils. So I reconnected it.

AC seems to work. The electric fan motor does not come on when AC is engaged. The electric motor has power and is confirmed to wirk when the wires to the fan switch are bypassed and connected directly. The fan's harness is connected but the fan switch that plugs in to the radiator is currently disconnected since it has recently been determined to be non functional. Don't think that should matter but seemed relevant.

Primarily what would cause the cause the condenser to kick on and off like that? A relay that is closing its circuit and turning on spontaneously? 

Secondarily, shouldn't the electric fan come on when AC is engaged.

Thanks!

kmpdx