Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys my 97 impreza stationwagon is overheating. There are no leaks on the car and everything works perfect. When i drive long distance approx 100km and further then when i stop the heat gauge climbs and spills all the water out of the reservoir. Checked for water in the oil nothing. Could it be that the thermostat can be shot and not opening and how do i replace that.

as said, we've seen these symptoms often and it's as close to a guarantee as you'll get for free from the internet, that you have a bad HG causing an internal leak from a combustion chamber where pressures are extremely high into a coolant passage where pressure is only 17psi or w'ever.

there are 'block' tests or HG tests available that use a fluid which turns from blue to green/yellow that will sometimes show combustion gasses in the coolant. You might also be able to send a coolant sample to Blackstone or similar labs for testing.

you can find youtube videos of the chemical block test.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Headgaskets seem likely. Look for bubbles in the overflow tank at idle or at first creeping up of gauge, before the coolant gets so hot it's boiling.

Plug check as mentioned too.

Make sure radiator isn't clogged and no leaks.

Check cap.

Headgaskets can leak multiple ways, coolant in cylinder, coolant externally onto the ground, oil externally, combustion gases into coolant.. nonturbo Subarus rarely leak coolant into the oil, that's nearly a pointless check only done by people who don't know Subarus.

Resurface heads and use Subaru headgaskets.

Those gaskets rarely fail and more than likely the engine has been overheated in the past.

Used engines: www.car-part.com

Thank you guys spot on with the headgasket. Now i need some advice. I want to fit an ej20 non turbo motor to my car. Can i do this and what do i need to modify so that this can work. It will be cheaper ifi just buy another motor but unfortunately i cant get hold of a ej18 motor in south africa.

around here the SOHC EJ20 is a phase 2 motor. (For 99 and above only) The electronics are different between the two and the intake manifolds can't be swapped. Unless there was an EJ20 Phase 1 offered in Africa, it probably does not fit.

The EJ22 is a very easy motor to do the head gaskets on. Head resurfacing is not necessary. Just clean all the gasket material off and follow the torque sequence. If your motor has only been run hot, not fried, redlined for prolonged time or seized from overheating, the easiest and cheapest fix is to just replace the head gaskets and drive. You can re-use the head bolts. You can re-use the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets if you are careful and they are in good condition. here in the states I can do a head gasket job on one for about $50. You dont even have to take the valve covers off. A timing kit is recommended at this time though unless you know it's rather new.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/159902-1990-2004-ej18-ej22-ej25-diy-complete-engine-remove-and-reinstall-guide/?hl=%2Bcomplete+%2Bremove+%2Breinstall

here's about everything to know. The only "special" tools are a 12 point 14mm socket for the head bolts, and a torque wrench.

Pull the motor. Remove intake manifold. Remove timing covers and belt. 12 14mm head bolts and it's all apart waiting to be cleaned and put back together. Simple job.

Edited by AdventureSubaru