Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help putting my engine back in time!

My engine locked up on my awhile back so i put new piston rings and new headgaskets on got everything put back together and my left (drivers side) intake camshaft won't line up to its mark it keeps hitting the #2 cylinder. All the other camshafts line up to where they're supposed to. No i didn't mix up camshafts and no valves are bent. What's going on?

Im not sure what engine you are working on, this may matter. 

Is it possible that you have to move the crank so that no pistons are at TDC to set the camshaft position, and then, one that is done, put the crank back into position for the belt install?

DOHC engine you can't turn the cams out of sequence of the valves hit each other.

Make sure the key notch on the crankshaft is straight down. Timing notch on the back of the sprocket lines up with the notch on the pump housing.

Turn the exhaust cam to the right so it unloads and the valves will be closed, timing notch should point around 1:30. Then turn the intake cam to its timing mark, then turn the exhaust cam to its timing mark.

The engine locked up and you put in new rings? Stop right there and explain yourself in more detail. I think that most probably belt timing is your least concern. Subaru's don't lock up because of rings. If they are going to stop turning it's going to be a bottom end (rod bearing) problem not rings. By the time piston rings "locked up" it would have been out of oil for long enough to do MAJOR damage to the bearings. In fact they usually die from throwing a rod. 

GD