Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for advice regarding a leaky radiator

radiator loyale coolant leak

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wubbabubba

wubbabubba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • BC, Canada

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

Hey folks,

I have a 1990 loyale that is naturally aspirated and I am losing some coolant when I drive it. I found a couple different wet spots on the radiator​ fins and one underneath a bolt on top of the radiator that squirts when I drive it. The engine does not overheat, but there is a small amount of whispy white smoke coming from the wet spot on top of the radiator when I come to a stop. It started doing this a few days ago after a long trip out of town.

The radiator fins are corroded and falling apart in some places. I'm young and not super mechanically adept yet, so I want to check and see if anybody has any advice before I get a new radiator​. If you know any other factors that could be causing this let me know I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

#2 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,474 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

Old radiator. Get a new one. ASAP. Before you run low on coolant and need to do the headgaskets also.

If you are not at high altitudes, and have to drive it, modify the radiator cap so the system does not pressurize. This will minimise coolant loss.

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,474 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

A small piece of copper wire looped around the check valve on the cap is what I have done.

#4 wubbabubba

wubbabubba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • BC, Canada

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hey thanks Dave. I am at high altitude but i have been topping up the coolant when I have to drive. Will that help prevent head gasket problems until the new radiator is in?

#5 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,424 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

Good job trying to verify diagnosis.

Sounds like you got a good eye and it's the radiator. Good description too.

A leaking cap and hose can spray or drip causing the radiator to be wet. But sounds like you looked closely enough and would have seen that.

It depends how bad the leak is but yes as long as enough coolant is circulating and it doesn't overheat it's fine. If it does overheat don't drive it. Carry water in the car.

Order online from advance auto parts, if it's not quite a hundred dollars add some cheap windshield fluid or coolant to get it to $100. Then use discount code TRT41 online to get $40 off. $60 radiator. Subaru radiators are perfect for this because most are right around $100.

You can pick it up within 30 minutes.

I've done it from in the store on my phone and picked it up right there In an emergency before.

Edited by grossgary, 26 March 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#6 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,474 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

Short drives.  Check for air in the upper radiator  hose and the level in the recovery tank, before every drive.  It doesn't take much loss to cause trouble. 

Top off.  Don't open the radiator cap to check level unless the upper hose check indicates low coolant.  If you run with air in the radiator, and you see the temperature gauge go above normal - not even overheat - headgaskets are at risk.  I've experienced this more than once.  The damage may begin showing up in 6 hours, 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months.

#7 kmpdx

kmpdx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

I just put this into my 1991 Loyale in the last month and it has been good so far. 

https://www.amazon.c...loyale radiator

Amazon says it doesn't fit but it does. Only difference is the lower radiator hose. It is aluminum and plastic and has a one-year warranty. Besides pulling out the belts and fan blade, it's a pretty easy swap. Maybe a good time to replace other parts of the cooling system while you have it drained like hoses. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: radiator, loyale, coolant leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users