Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 build thread

So i have to do headgaskets on my ea82. I plan on doing timing gear, oil pump, and maybe delta cams. Is there anything else i need to do "while I'm there"?

Can the heads be shaved without needing adjustable cam gears? Am I stretching to think I can get 110+hp reliably without a turbo?

I am just finishing my top end over haul on my EA-82.  I had the heads decked,  valves and valve seals redone,  Delta Cam did a Level 1 grind as this is my everyday driver and is an automatic.  they also resurfaced my followers---very inexpencively i might add.  I had previously installed a 38/38 syncro Webber carb and have a 2in hight performance CAT back exhaust.  so yes it can be done.  my bottom end was balanced at the last overhaul before i over heated and warpped my R head--go figure the weak side for cooling.  ill let you all know what i get on the dyno when im done. by yes no changes made

Ray

Unless you already have an oil pump on hand they are discontinued and no longer available. 

Rather than flush a bunch of money straight down the drain - do an EJ swap to an EJ22 or an EJ25 with EJ22 heads and have some real power and parts availability

110 HP on an NA EA82.... probably not with the MPFI because there is no tuning solution to adjust the fuel and timing for your cams. Possibly with a big enough carb. 

High comp EJ25 will put out about 190 HP..... that's a RELIABLE 190 HP. And you can buy parts for it. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

If i were gonna swap it, i'd ez swap it. I definitely wouldn't ej25 it. I already have hg's to do, why on earth would i swap in a motor that blows hg's for no apparent reason?

I'm sticking with the ea82, cause its original, and cheap as to maintain. Short story is, I'm not ej'ing it. Been there burnt the t-shirt. I'll never have another 96-99 ej25, without receipts for recent hg's. Those shouldn't be routine maintenance! This go-round with hg's on my ea are MY fault

Edited by crazyhorse001

The 2.5 was never reliable lol in my opinion after 7 engines in my outback i think i am entitled to that opinion and I think 110hp out of a ea82 is doable im guessing i had around 120 out of my ea82 but define reliable I got 20k from my last build but it was built from junk parts it is a lot of work and if your not in to tinkering and are relieing on some one else to do the work it will get outrageous very quickly you can't just upgrade one thing it has to be done as a system the factory had the best set up for all around use if you want to mod it for your needs every thing needs to be modded to match or the mods will conflict with the factory settings also if your using spfi set up the computer gets kinda funny and takes around 100 miles to adjust to the changes the more power the funnyer it gets a carb might be able to make more power but at what cost

Edited by ferp420

I have 35K miles with my Webber 38/38 syncro barb and it has tons of low end.  the mpg are about the same but the perfromance is way better.  My HG failed cuz my radiator went bad and i ran it out of water.  totally my fault.  im looking forward to runnin this new top end a long time.  when its in and running ill put it on a dyno and let the forum know....  i like my big carb.  Redline was really helpful in assisting me in jetting it properly.  Ask for Tom

The 2.5 was never reliable lol in my opinion after 7 engines in my outback i think i am entitled to that opinion and I think 110hp out of a ea82 is doable im guessing i had around 120 out of my ea82 but define reliable I got 20k from my last build but it was built from junk parts it is a lot of work and if your not in to tinkering and are relieing on some one else to do the work it will get outrageous very quickly you can't just upgrade one thing it has to be done as a system the factory had the best set up for all around use if you want to mod it for your needs every thing needs to be modded to match or the mods will conflict with the factory settings also if your using spfi set up the computer gets kinda funny and takes around 100 miles to adjust to the changes the more power the funnyer it gets a carb might be able to make more power but at what cost

I'm thinking holistically, and doing the work myself.

With the cams, i know i need more air, so i change the throttle body. Now with more air, i need more fuel, so i put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and bigger injectors. On top of this, i know I'm adding heat, so i do a 2 row radiator.

I won't be turning the motor any more rpm, so the bottom end doesn't need any help. With less power than an ea82t, the drivetrain should be good.

Heh. How little ye know. The HG problems have all been solved. 

EA82 is a dead, dead, dead platform. Subaru ensured that by discontinuing the oil pump for it. Good riddance to rubbish. 

GD

Only answer i have for that is to extend my finger in a common gesture, thereby calling you #1 in a #2 kinda way.

Now if you're done pissing on my parade, please let the people with something constructive to add reply.

(Btw i did consider a frankenmotor, but felt it was overkill for my needs.)

My 2.5 head gasket issues haven't been fix there still a problem we just did the 04 gaskets 5000 miles ago the 98 will never see the road again and I'll never buy another Subaru with a 2.5 again the ea82 on the other hand being dead gives us a huge opportunity to reserect it rebuild it frankinsine it burn them up in any way possable and have fun with them i still have 3 to build from and 3 spar3 oil pumps im sure there not great but must be better than nothing

I say port the heads and intake manifold add spacers under the throtle body shave the valves polish th3 exhaust ports grind the weld bead flat on the inside of the exhaust by the header open up the intake thats inside the fender and if your looking for more low end torque add spacers between the intake manifold and the heads port match all your gaskets and use high quality plugs and wires run some kind of msd ignition and sinthetic oil in your trans and rear diff with all that your smoking the ea82t so its over 110hp judging by how much faster and st4onger it pulls im saying 120ish range its at the limits of the spfi system so its alittle ruff at times but it pulls harder on 3 cylinders than a stock motor dose on 3 maybe a carb might handle the mods better or piggie back a maga squirt or something im just a tinkerer im not a machinest or a engine builder and if i can get this kinda punch out of this engine i would imagine some one with some real skills could do better so if the ea82 is dead then why not cook it up and make a meal out of it i did and will do again till all my ea82s are gone then i will go electric or move on to a different platform wether its a ej rig or a toy or maybe ill just finnish building my scout

I will say this with out moding the heads and intake adding more fuel will just bog it down there just isent enuff flow through the heads shaving the heads is fine shave the block to while your at it the cams wont be a issue but the intake wont line up right and the bolt holes will need ovaled out but the spacers are machined right they can compisate for the differance and make everything line up right i havent played with the cams at all i still run stock cams its still a daily driver after all i wouldent even know were to start with the cams and from what ive read there the best there gona get for all around use but that could be the missing link to building a ej competitor i dont know but seeing as how its dead already you cant hurf it so go for it lol

This is my daily driver, so I'm not building a barn burner. I want a decent mild build. I think i can get where i want with just bolt ons.

I have a pretty good selection of parts. The most difficult mod will be the er27 throttle body, but that should net the biggest gains. I have to sort out my mods, and do some maths to make sure everything balances out.

Oh yeah, i do have a brand new oil pump :)

Edited by crazyhorse001

Bolt on will be a msd ignition and good spark plugs and opening up the intake under the fender a little and a throtle bodys spacer   the engine wont take any more fuel and air it just wont even forcing it down its throught wont help with out internal engine mods i tryed all you will do is cause it to spudder and cough even after all my mods i raised the fuel presure alittle bit the computer couldent handle it and it just sputtered and coughed putting a spacer under the stock throtle body will give the air and fuel more time to mix before making a hard 90 so it burns what your giving it more efficiantly the msd make sure you burn all the fuel for the best performance

• 4 weeks later...